Insurance companies watching your driving through a smart phone

Ok, I may have an impossible question but I'm curious to know. How do insurance companies know whether your driving or not? Companies like root insurance for example claim they can tell whether your driving or a passenger but then also tell you that if you are driving not to let a passenger use your phone while your driving. But how do they know who's driving? Any one have any idea?

I haven't had a cell phone for 10 years. Apparently, humans can survive without the darn things.
I do sense that my tablet does watch what I do though. I never download apps however. I know this isn't a popular stance, but guess what. Don't care. 😀
As demonstrated by OP, it's not the phone, it's the apps that are so insidious.

Last edited:
They tried to get me to download their tracking app but I said I’d rather pay a tiny bit more than be monitored like a criminal.
Insurance companies like root don't even give you an option. In order to have them you must complete their test drive. Obviously you can choose just to not go with them which is a personal choice and I totally get why people would make that choice. I'm more concerned with how they actually know who's driving etc.

I'm immune. Don't have a cell phone. Never owned a cell phone. If you hand me a cell phone, I won't know how to use it.

Guess what I'm doing while driving the car? Nothing. I'm driving the car and that's it. Most the time I don't even listen to music.

And I feel perfectly content too. I don't feel the need to be entertained while driving the car. The car itself is my entertainment.

OP asked a fairly specific question about something. Why the need for the proclamations about "I don't have a cell phone" ? Is there some relevance to his/her question ?

Too many "old man yells at cloud" comments here. I guess many of them don't need to keep in communication of friends/family/customers/dispatch while on the road.

And if you have to standby or wait for any moment in time what you gonna do? Twiddle your thumbs? Listen to AM talk radio?

Ok, I may have an impossible question but I'm curious to know. How do insurance companies know whether your driving or not? Companies like root insurance for example claim they can tell whether your driving or a passenger but then also tell you that if you are driving not to let a passenger use your phone while your driving. But how do they know who's driving? Any one have any idea?

You'll need to have their app running in the background on your phone in order to use the phones sensors (GPS, accelerometer, etc.) to track you.

You'll need to have their app running in the background on your phone in order to use the phones sensors (GPS, accelerometer, etc.) to track you.
That all depends on the permissions given to the app.

OP, the only way your insurance could "prove" you were the driving is if you were alone in the car when an accident occurred, and that fact was recorded in a statement.

I don't know about all that? But I always leave my location off.
I don't need the Internet no one everywhere I went.
You go to Kroger's or something and then you get an email how was your trip to Kroger's.
Mind your own business "Jack"

Not interested in these monitoring apps. Ask what the maximum theoretical discount will be ahead of time.

My friend tried the app thing for ~3 months, once the 3 months is over they will apply the savings to his plan and future renewals. Ended up being like $60 savings total for a 6 month policy.

Absolutely not worth it to be stressing about how many quick accelerations or hard brakes you do.

I don't know about all that? But I always leave my location off.
I don't need the Internet no one everywhere I went.
You go to Kroger's or something and then you get an email how was your trip to Kroger's.
Mind your own business "Jack"
So I didn't realize the insurance company made you install a tracking app.

Not interested in these monitoring apps. Ask what the maximum theoretical discount will be ahead of time.

My friend tried the app thing for ~3 months, once the 3 months is over they will apply the savings to his plan and future renewals. Ended up being like $60 savings total for a 6 month policy.

Absolutely not worth it to be stressing about how many quick accelerations or hard brakes you do.

Yeah it's pretty intrusive if you ask me. 😱

Back