Insurance companies cracking down on modified cars

Hi guys,

I haven't even thought about upgrading a vehicle for over a decade.

I'm out search for a new provider, I casually asked about slightly lowering or Kona EV for a little extra range with Eibach Pro Kit.

They gave us a hard no and said they wouldn't be able to Insure us. And they were the second place I asked.

Were married, in our 40s and have near perfect records.

Is this a big change in the industry?

I do wonder how many people are running around with modified cars who's insurance wouldn't cover them.

Slightly annoying, considering our cars are meticulously maintained.

She wouldn't even comment on aftermarket brake pads....non OE.

Thoughts?

Hi guys,

I'm out search for a new provider, I casually asked about slightly lowering or Kona EV for a little extra range with Eibach Pro Kit.

They gave us a hard no and said they wouldn't be able to Insure us. And they were the second place I asked.

I do wonder how many people are running around with modified cars who's insurance wouldn't cover them.

Thoughts?

Do whatever you want with your car, meaning lowering or jacking it up, even maybe adding more power, just do not cause any accidents and keep your mouth shut. I know a guy in my area that has a 1979 Chevrolet Malibu that is running a 500 HP LS3 engine in it and his insurance company does not know what he has in his car,

When you tell your insurance company you are modifying your car it just raises to many red flags.

The less information you give the insurance company, the better. Do you realize how much overhead there would be if they had to price policies on every little modification / customization? They don't want all that complication.

I'm sure you've noticed that some insurance companies have a field in their quote form for "customizations / custom options / etc." Some ask this, many don't. That's just a set dollar amount you give them to cover things you've added to the car (sound systems, suspension mods, etc), that they will reimburse you for in case the car gets stolen or you incur some other covered loss. They don't even need to know how you customized it, you're just buying additional insurance at a set dollar amount.

They're not going to deny coverage over modifications that aren't over the top. Now if you turned it into a top fuel dragster and crashed on the expressway going 200mph, you might have a problem.

No, most *standard* policies do not allow modifications, has been in the Fine Print for decades. I'd think they would ask that during the application process anyway. I mean certain performance or safety things, not putting on an expensive custom paint job or rims where you want a higher insured value.

Most people just don't disclose their mods and then hope an investigator or adjuster doesn't notice (or find fault with).

It does not surprise me at all if they don't want to insure a vehicle with a modified suspension, because let's be honest, even if the mod is done well it may still compromise handling (like lifts on trucks), and it is most probable that those doing the mods, get in more than their share of accidents because to them a vehicle is more than just an appliance to daily drive to work.

Hahaha,. Thanks guys, I appreciate the sarcasm tossed in there.

I actually applied on a whim, and my wife asked me to check after I'd warmed her up to the idea.

I was surprised.

I actually started to grill the agent on it......asking about non-oe brake pads that claim low dust or better performance than standard .........she sort of blackballed me!

It's fairly annoying.

We get rate reduction during the winter if we use dedicated winter tires.........they could be bald.....15 years old .....and have cords showing, but as long as they have the snow flake, they're better than brand new modern all seasons in the eyes of the insurance company.

It's fairly funny actually.

Why volunteer such information?

Attachments

• sss.jpg
    sss.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4
Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Now, if you have a “classic” or “show” car, there are insurers who will insure and include a rider for any tweaks done to the car.

From my experience, if it's bolted, or fixed to the vehicle, it is part of the vehicle. As an Amateur Radio operator, I had asked about my antennas, they are covered (shorter than 13f 6") but while they were on the phone, they DO offer coverage if you have a "custom" spare tire cover.

Hi guys,

Thoughts?
Mine just asks for a list of upgrades that add to the value and in turn the premium. My F150 is a highly modified prerunner. Never had an issue. I had a chop top VW bug that was mostly all custom, I had to send a bunch of photos and give a value.

Thanks guys, yeah I really feel like these guys are being unreasonable......maybe it was just luck that I had two fussy providers.

Thanks guys, yeah I really feel like these guys are being unreasonable......maybe it was just luck that I had two fussy providers.
They aren’t fussy if you just give them the info they ask for.

I’ve personally never had any issues with modifying my cars or getting covered for a loss, but then I didn’t make it a point to volunteer anything they didn’t ask.

Back