Installing new rocker panels to pass state inspection

I plan on buying a beater in the next coming months. This likely means I will need to replace the rocker panels. If I use pop rivets to secure the new rocker panels, is that good enough to pass NY safety inspection?

I have never heard of a car failing inspection because of rusty rocker panels.

What's the rest of the underside look like ?
Does the parking brake cable work ?

Whenever I riveted patches on a car, I would stager them in two rows.
It looked neat and sort of like an airplane.
Start any patches at the bottom and work your way up.
Make it a work of art.

It all depends on the inspector. There are strict inspectors and there are that will do some leniency. If it fail emissions, then there's nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:
Rusty rocker panels are not a safety issue, you don't need to replace them. If you are still in doubt just ask the guy who's going to do your inspection ahead of time.

It's good enough in Maine. The concerns are sheet metal hazards (ripping skin off pedestrians) and carbon monoxide intrusion.

You should make sure your pinch welds are still good enough to support the lift pads. If they aren't, well, your car isn't as safe in day-to-day driving either. As a matter of practicality, you should plug those holes regardless of inspection so you don't get salt water up into the inner rockers, which are structural.

After you Pop_Rivet everything slather it in bondo then paint it with bedliner or undercoating-- you'll never see the rivet heads.

Anecdotally, driving around Upstate NY, your standards are looser than mine. Why not find the manual online and look it up for yourself?

Not hat long ago repairing rusted rocker panels and wheel wells could be done by amateurs. Then the repaired was painted black like the Chaparell racers. You don't see it that often anymore.

I have never heard of a car failing inspection because of rusty rocker panels.

What's the rest of the underside look like ?
Does the parking brake cable work ?

Whenever I riveted patches on a car, I would stager them in two rows.
It looked neat and sort of like an airplane.
Start any patches at the bottom and work your way up.
Make it a work of art.
It used to be no rust hole bigger than a quarter in PA. Fail if bigger

Pop_riveting metal to replace rocker panels is being ghetto, and if you don't have bodywork experience, it's not gonna be a good job. You have to also have enough metal to attach it to, otherwise they'll fall off again and new ones will need to actually be welded on.

Reactions: D60
Back