Installed new fog lamp assemblies - 2008 Subaru Forester 2.5X

Hello all,

Just thought I'd share this in case another Suby owner is thinking of doing the same down the road. My fog lights have had hairline cracks in them for years and they finally broke. I replaced them with a TYC fog lamp set (TYC 19504000SET) from rockauto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12221517&cc=1440448&pt=803

They work and fit great. Bulbs were already installed. No complaints.

Attachments

• IMG_7327.jpg
    IMG_7327.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7326.jpg
    IMG_7326.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7324.jpg
    IMG_7324.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7323.jpg
    IMG_7323.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 30
I just wanted to follow-up on these TYC fog lamps I installed a year ago.

About five months after installing them the left fog lamp seal failed and the inside filled with water which prematurely killed the bulb. I warranty replaced it via rockauto no problem. Then about 11 months since original install both filled with moisture and the bulbs died. So the assemblies only seem to stay sealed 5-11 months before failing. I emailed rockauto and they're graciously allowing me to return both for store credit. They said since these seem to be failing quickly to try another brand. Unfortunately, there's no another brand available at the moment on their website for my year/make/model.

I'm not opposed to buying OEM, but just curious if there's a more reliable aftermarket I should consider first? I'm not too keen on LED/HID type lamps as I feel like these generally just blind other drivers. I'm seeing a variety of brands I've not heard of on carid.com, but I have to wonder if this is just one manufacturer in tawain or china pumping out the same low quality stuff with various brands printed on them? The TYC were made in Taiwan.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Different body style but a friend purchased an '02 Impreza (bug eye) and the previous owner said the fogs were from something like a Grand Cherokee.

I could be mistaken on the donor but are there any common/popular swaps like this for your '08? I don't frequent Subie forums so I don't know.

Different body style but a friend purchased an '02 Impreza (bug eye) and the previous owner said the fogs were from something like a Grand Cherokee.

I could be mistaken on the donor but are there any common/popular swaps like this for your '08? I don't frequent Subie forums so I don't know.
It’s possible, but I’m not sure.

Back