Installed a Remote Starter

Wife wanted a remote starter on her Ford Fusion. Got one from pluginstarters.com. The unit plugs into the back of the OBD connector and must be programmed. The instructions were poor, but I finally figured it out. It uses the vehicle key fob to activate the starter.

Happy wife, semi happy life.... Lol

P. S: Any one else do their own?

I didn't install ours as it came factory but I do know that if there's a check engine light mine won't work. My wife could care less about an engine light being on but she won't put up with a remote start not working so I had to promptly fix the code. Ymmv

Sounds slick. As opposed to the ones that need to be connected to a bunch of specific wires.

I had one added to my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was intent on locking the door at every opportunity. In more than one case I was outside the vehicle with the engine running when it locked the doors. In one case I had to break a window.

My mom wants one but we don’t do aftermarket stuff and I don’t feel like messing with the computer to program it. I can’t stand them myself but glad your wife is happy lol. At least it’s not factory or it would have problems from my experience.

I added a Fortin remote starter to my 2016 Mazda CX-9. It also uses the factory remote and is activated by pushing the lock button three times in succession. Rather that the OBD port, it used a harness to tap into some wires in the steering column area and had to be programmed using a Fortin device. There were fantastic direction on how to install on the www.mazdas247.com forum.

My wife also loves it. Good investment.

I installed a truly plug-and-play one, probably identical to the one you used, on my wife's Fusion as well. Many Fords can use this same module (when pre-programmed for the vehicle) and a simple T-harness that goes inline to the back of the ODBII port. Does yours integrate into the left-hand instrument cluster menus ? Ours did - remote start enable/disable, runtime (5, 10, 15 minutes), various climate options, heated seats options, and so on.

I installed a truly plug-and-play one, probably identical to the one you used, on my wife's Fusion as well. Many Fords can use this same module (when pre-programmed for the vehicle) and a simple T-harness that goes inline to the back of the ODBII port. Does yours integrate into the left-hand instrument cluster menus ? Ours did - remote start enable/disable, runtime (5, 10, 15 minutes), various climate options, heated seats options, and so on.
Not sure, I will have to check. It does default to the last climate control settings.

Wife wanted a remote starter on her Ford Fusion. Got one from pluginstarters.com. The unit plugs into the back of the OBD connector and must be programmed. The instructions were poor, but I finally figured it out. It uses the vehicle key fob to activate the starter.

Happy wife, semi happy life.... Lol

P. S: Any one else do their own?
What year Fusion? Also, this is the first time I heard about this. It used to be a low ball ad would attract a person to the shop and then they would have all the module add-on requirements, coming up with a system that cost more than a $1000 and butchered your wiring.

This is what I got for my Fusion when I had it as well. Got it off Ebay.

Just wondering if it covers the first Gen Fusion as well as 2nd Gen. Also, this is the first time I heard about this. It used to be a low ball ad would attract a person to the shop...
As far as I'm aware, it's only for 2nd-generation Fusions, i.e. 2013 and newer. See my link below... Check one of his listings for the "install" video. As I said above, it's very much plug-and-play.

This is what I got for my Fusion when I had it as well. Got it off Ebay.
I bought mine from a guy in New Jersey. He buys and programs the modules (they're cheap, like $40, but not programmed) and says he builds the T-Harness. He's changed his eBay name over time but this is him.

Just wondering if it covers the first Gen Fusion as well as 2nd Gen.
Here's one for 2010-2012 Fusions. It's not as simple as for 2nd-gens but just has a few extra plugs. They generally go inline with existing connections which means unplug a connector, put his connector in the same place, then take the connection to unplugged into the other end of his harness. Repeat that for other connections.

What year Fusion? Also, this is the first time I heard about this. It used to be a low ball ad would attract a person to the shop and then they would have all the module add-on requirements, coming up with a system that cost more than a $1000 and butchered your wiring.
2014. But they make them for 2010-2012. Mine was only 109.00

As far as I'm aware, it's only for 2nd-generation Fusions, i.e. 2013 and newer. See my link below... Check one of his listings for the "install" video. As I said above, it's very much plug-and-play.

I bought mine from a guy in New Jersey. He buys and programs the modules (they're cheap, like $40, but not programmed) and says he builds the T-Harness. He's changed his eBay name over time but this is him.
Yep, I just checked my Ebay page. The one I got was from him. :)

I have a start-x branded one, but it is a Fortin. Plugs into the back of the OBD2 port with a T harness. I think I've had mine for 6 months or so. Works great. It's probably one of the best things I've done to my truck.

Back