Inspecting fuse for rear lift gate GMT 900 Suburban and Tahoe

Some Suburbans and Tahoe’s have an electric rear lift gate . The one on my 2008 Suburban stopped working in the -25 F cold and would not start working again in my 60 F heated garage. The large fuse box is one the driver’s side and after I took off the top cover I cleaned up an accumulation of fine sand using a paint brush and small shop vac. The fuse for the electric motor is a 30 amp unusual looking fuse. I removed the top plastic cover and tested the fuse. It was good so I lubricated the door hinge and latch mechanism. I believe the electronics got confused so I disconnected the battery and hooked it up again. It worked fine afterwards.
The lower left 30 amp fuse in the last two photos is the fuse for the door motor. Enjoy.

2C41B0DD-2C0D-4001-B990-10E7FF1317FD.jpeg
510522C4-89D1-4C54-819C-898DE2AF0FCF.jpeg
3BF3B961-CDF8-4FD4-B5A6-D60F889D280C.jpeg
79B9856C-170F-4AD0-B415-C8FC4A270E07.jpeg

Last edited:
I was probably some oxidation on the fuse. Sometimes just taking them out and re-inserting them helps make a better contact ,and things start working again.,,
I did partially try pull the fuse, moving it outward by about a quarter inch. I didn’t want to break the fuse housing. I wonder if there is a removal tool for this type of fuse.

I did partially try pull the fuse, moving it outward by about a quarter inch. I didn’t want to break the fuse housing. I wonder if there is a removal tool for this type of fuse.

I just use needle-nose pliers.

That type of fuse seems prone to the clear plastic cover breaking off over time. Several of the ones in my 2004 Crown Vic are like that. They've never been removed, as far as I know.

Those are J case/cartridge style fuses

They just pull up/out

You broke the plastic cover off the top of one, I would replace it if you lost it
With all the crap on top the fuse box, the fuse didn’t want come easy with the needle nose pliers and and the top popped off. I was able to snap it back on.

Last edited:
Back