Insolubles/oil life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am believing that for many, the level of insolubles becomes the limiting factor in drain intervals, not TBN.

A great filter will help (controversial I know). We also know that things like LC and FP help a lot.

For us that want to use straight oil with no adds and spin-on filters, I'm thinking there is something to these long-life formulas.

We seem to be seeing reduced solids with M1 0W-40 ?? Not a tremendous amount of data, but....

I'm beginning to think some of these syns that meet certain long life specs. will get me to where I want to be better than just running M1 10-30.

A syn can be great, but if your solids limit you, then not so great.

There is something real about these long life specs. like the 0W-40 has. What say yea??

The point is that each engine/oil combination is different.

I used to think TBN was the most likely limiting factor. For me it's not.

The thinning was due to running the oil in a motorcycle for 5k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
The point is that each engine/oil combination is different.

I used to think TBN was the most likely limiting factor. For me it's not.

The thinning was due to running the oil in a motorcycle for 5k miles.

I see and I agree. TBN is but a part of the story. It usually only a limiting factor with less quality dino.

I hope you are on to something! Yes not much data yet but with more UOA's maybe we can get a better idea. Seems thin oils keep the insoluables low also. Also fuel dilution = low insoluables maybe the gas desolves some of the stuff. Auto-rx definitely = low insoluables and sould be great for extended drains.

For us the limiting factor is dirt contamination. I've never seen TBN drop out on decent oils. The better the oil the better it can carry the insolubles, the less filter plugging.

For the two engines I do UOAs on, it's viscosity going out of grade.

One engine it thins out, the other it thickens. Both use Redline.

Insolubles is always <.1%.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
For the two engines I do UOAs on, it's viscosity going out of grade.

One engine it thins out, the other it thickens. Both use Redline.

Insolubles is always strong>

Hmmm. Have you gotten similar results with other syns?? How does Redline thin out of grade without fuel dilution?? I don't understand.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
For us the limiting factor is dirt contamination. I've never seen TBN drop out on decent oils. The better the oil the better it can carry the insolubles, the less filter plugging.

That's food for thought. Maybe a higher reading on a uoa isn't all bad if a good oil is holding particles in suspension. Maybe a low reading isn't so perfect for the opposite reason, unless it's acting like a liquid filter, rather than just not being able to do it's job.
dunno.gif

I thought I'd get more response from the guru's on the long life thing. M1 0W-40 seems to be showing low solids.

Quote:

"M1 0W-40 seems to be showing low solids "

I think I posted something similar
wink.gif

The D/D pack is supposed to keep the solids in suspension and carry them to the filter and I think the 0w-40 does this well . Look at it's credentials
smile.gif

The low solids we see with this oil could be due to using in tight engines , the superior ring seal from the viscosity + it's D/D pack and or all the above or something is in it only Mobil knows about.

Fact remains it has a higher flash point than the other SS's with different density and delivers performance day -in - day out through analysis at 5 bucks a quart while getting in stride at around 6500 - 7500 miles in some engines in terms of longetivity .

It's a world class oil while meeting many Industry Standards any old way you look at it while it's marketed as primarily a turbo Diesel oil in the UK . Maybe that's why the low solids in these gassers .

M1 0w-40 can haters unite now......if you must
tongue.gif
smile.gif

[ June 29, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Motorbike, that's the kind of reply I'm looking for.

I'd like an oil that can go the distance without LC and FP.

Why should that be so hard??

Massive TBN is worthless if you can't keep the solids down. The Amsoil guys don't use Blackstone, so I can't really tell about this from their data.

Who decided that .6 was a red flag?? Aren't good oils supposed to hold particles in suspension?

quote:

Fact remains it has a higher flash point than the other SS's with different density and delivers performance day -in - day out through analysis at 5 bucks a quart while getting in stride at around 6500 - 7500 miles in some engines in terms of longetivity .

It's a world class oil while meeting many Industry Standards any old way you look at it while it's marketed as primarily a turbo Diesel oil in the UK . Maybe that's why the low solids in these gassers

World class is right. Fact is, this oil does have a higher Flash point and doesn't shear that bad considering it is a 0w-40. Again, it moves about 2-cSts and is designed to go long distances. I do believe their is probably some extra detergency in this oil bc it is their global long drain oil. Just a guess.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back