Insane old Tacoma prices.

Happened to be watching an online auction when a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner 2wd with 253,000 miles comes in. Gets bid to $8,200 which seems crazy to begin with on a 14 year old 2 wheel drive truck. But the insane part was the seller declined and wanted $10K. A buyer is going to have to put it on their lot for at least $12,000 at that price. Will any customer in their right mind pay that much for something that old and a quarter million miles?

Prices are out of line. But even in good times buying can be weird, if supply is limited, prices can go to stupid levels.

Also I wonder if this is related to how "the rules" have changed over the last couple decades. Taken care of, many vehicles can last a long time. And if kept out the rust belt, repaired for many years to come. I suspect more curmudgeons (like me!) are starting to be willing to pay more for older tech, out of FUD and/or of a dislike of the newer safety nannies. Pure speculation on my part.

I keep getting phone calls from unknown people/sources wanting to buy my 2013 Tacoma and letters from Toyota dealers wanting a buy back or trade in deal, I keep telling them to get $25,000 cash or cahiers check and its yours, that usually silences them.

nobody wants those new Domestic full size trucks that break down all the time and need major warranty work, plus gas prices are going up and its time to unload the big V8 gas suckers for a smaller more reliable truck.
Not entirely true. The domestic full size pickups outsell the imports by a large margin.

Our '01 Tundra has 204K and is in great shape.
I frequently get unsoliticited offers; "How much ya askin' ?" and "I got cash!"
Not for sale; plus the neighbors might get made if I cut loose "their truck".
It is actually out on loan as we speak.

but how?! They break down all the time and need major warranty work!

Let's forget rusting frames and huge recalls for Toyota for the moment though. Dang domestics!

:oops:
just had my Tacoma in for a frame inspection and treatment, if the frame ever does completely rust out I get a free frame replacement under warranty, FORD or GM or DODGE wont even pay for the towing bill:poop:

most full size trucks are commercial use vehicles, if you separated that aspect it would probably be Toyota Tacoma FTW
Maybe in your area thats true. Where I am, crew cab and extended cab domestic pickups rule. Even in the cities. There are lots of Tacos, but they are well outnumbered.

I have a Tundra, so I am not hating on Toyotas.

just had my Tacoma in for a frame inspection and treatment, if the frame ever does completely rust out I get a free frame replacement under warranty, FORD or GM or DODGE wont even pay for the towing bill:poop:
Lol, I'd hope they'd give you a new frame considering entire frames have rusted out and snapped in half. Just a little bit of a liability issue, no biggie.

Toyota: our stuff may rust and snap in half but by golly, you're gonna get a new frame! Let's completely disregard the fact that it rusted and snapped in half in the first place but it's all good!

Lol, I'd hope they'd give you a new frame considering entire frames have rusted out and snapped in half. Just a little bit of a liability issue, no biggie.

Toyota: our stuff may rust and snap in half but by golly, you're gonna get a new frame! Let's completely disregard the fact that it rusted and snapped in half in the first place but it's all good!
but domestic truck frames never rust out, because they are of superior steel or because they never get to over 100k miles on the road to find out, Toyotas clock well over 200k miles on their lifespan so they will spend more time out in salt/briney enviroments, most Domestic owners play the shell game at certain mileage they trade in on another before they fall apart.

but domestic truck frames never rust out, because they are of superior steel or because they never get to over 100k miles on the road to find out, Toyotas clock well over 200k miles on their lifespan so they will spend more time out in salt/briney enviroments, most Domestic owners play the shell game at certain mileage they trade in on another before they fall apart.
Lmao

I'd say you're trolling but you probably actually believe this. :ROFLMAO:

Whether Domestic or Import I'm sure everyone can agree truck prices are insane. I saw a few rusted out Ford trucks near me listed for $7,000. They looked like ex-plow trucks with 250K+ miles on them. Ridiculous.

Happened to be watching an online auction when a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner 2wd with 253,000 miles comes in. Gets bid to $8,200 which seems crazy to begin with on a 14 year old 2 wheel drive truck. But the insane part was the seller declined and wanted $10K. A buyer is going to have to put it on their lot for at least $12,000 at that price. Will any customer in their right mind pay that much for something that old and a quarter million miles?
If a dealer pays $10K, then he/she has either a correct, or a delusional prediction of what it will go at retail, and what has to be done to get it ready for retail sale.

Back