Insane fire near me, Marcal paper factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These older places like this paper factory or a old ice house or a lumber yard really make for some huge fires. We had a old ice plant near downtown that was vacant get caught on fire by transients. The brick walls were double with sawdust used as insulation. These were very thick. The fire burned for around a week and the trucks were there about six weeks in all as the smoldering continued with a few flare ups from in the sawdust.

Last edited:
Those paper mill fires are brutal. We have a huge paper mill across the street from where I work. They used to store those huge compacted bricks of recycled paper products outside and all around the plant in huge stock piles. They had two fires about 5yrs ago. One of which burned for days. All the local fire departments were pulling so hard on the fire hydrants that there was no city water pressure. Good thing is, no more paper bails outside.

It's front page of today's Record (formally The Bergen Evening Record).

I have the suspicion a paper napkin and towel plant will not be rebuilt on the location.

You're just steps away from the milestone industrial zone of Alexander Hamilton's design. Lots of history there....aircraft engines (Curtis-Wright), locomotives, Colt's earliest guns (before the SAA.....before moving to Hartford, CT.). Very cool, very human scaled museum.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
At least someone in the area might be warm!

27.gif
45.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
It's front page of today's Record (formally The Bergen Evening Record).

I have the suspicion a paper napkin and towel plant will not be rebuilt on the location.

You're just steps away from the milestone industrial zone of Alexander Hamilton's design. Lots of history there....aircraft engines (Curtis-Wright), locomotives, Colt's earliest guns (before the SAA.....before moving to Hartford, CT.). Very cool, very human scaled museum.

Yes I actually live about 2 miles from the orignial Colt factory, and there is a little museum for the Great Falls area of Paterson, which is experiencing a little bit of a refreshing.

Some of those older factories are 'Heavy Timber' construction...the columns and joists are a minimum of 6" thick...they create a lot of radiant heat when they burn....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back