Inner CV oops

2003 CRV, did front struts today. While doing that, the knuckle flopped over and I think the inner CV popped out, on the inside. As in, it'd spin freely. I spun the axle until went back into place and finished the strut install. [On the other side I was darn sure to not let that knuckle flop around!] Question: damage done? I know these things can come apart (I rebooted a set several years ago) but I don't know if any of the balls might have fallen out, and if I really need to have this axle pulled and rebuilt as a result.

The clamp on the boot is know a bit loose, and I couldn't get anything onto it to tighten it. It's not torn, just slides too easily for my taste. I think I'd have to pull the axle to get to the band properly, so I might just wait on that bit.

Fun times.

did this a lot (more than once : l with a nissan/infiniti ...... you can try and manipulate the 'stub', which pulled clean of the inner cage inside that CV boot.
Have to visualize where/when you've got the stub squared up with the inner cage/receiving end. Not impossible as I recall.
edit: I see you are indicating the inner CV, that's usually far better to deal with, it's a 'tripod' plunging joint in most cases, three broad slots for the rolling elements to grab, the CV boot may have kept the works meshed well enough that the rollers will find their home easily & plunge back down the channels. Happy Day!

This seems to be an issue on Honda's more than other brands. I usually put a jack stand underneath the knuckle to prevent this issue.

If it happens, I removed the inner boot and put everything back where it needs to be. If the clamp is of the reusable type, I reuse it. Otherwise I grab a new one form my stash.

This seems to be an issue on Honda's more than other brands. I usually put a jack stand underneath the knuckle to prevent this issue.

If it happens, I removed the inner boot and put everything back where it needs to be. If the clamp is of the reusable type, I reuse it. Otherwise I grab a new one form my stash.
Yeah the second one I had the jack under it, but also grabbed a board and braced it with my knee so it wouldn't flop around. Got the replacement strut lined up and ready to go. No small stream of profanities followed, but then again the sweat was streaming too, 80F and 90% humidity or whatever in my garage, I should have waited for a cooler day for a cooler mind. Live and learn.

did this a lot (more than once : l with a nissan/infiniti ...... you can try and manipulate the 'stub', which pulled clean of the inner cage inside that CV boot.
Have to visualize where/when you've got the stub squared up with the inner cage/receiving end. Not impossible as I recall.
edit: I see you are indicating the inner CV, that's usually far better to deal with, it's a 'tripod' plunging joint in most cases, three broad slots for the rolling elements to grab, the CV boot may have kept the works meshed well enough that the rollers will find their home easily & plunge back down the channels. Happy Day!
Oh good, thanks! I was quite hopeful that the best might happen.

I think you’ll be fine. Did something similar on an 03 Maxima and 04 Volvo V70R, except the CV “pop-out” was not obvious. We could not figure out why we could not get the knuckle to meet up with the strut in both the cars. Lots of frustration until we figured out that the CV pulled apart inside. Solution was to apply force to the knuckle, thereby forcing the CV joint together while rotating the joint. It finally popped back in after a bit of rotation and enough force. They were both fine immediately afterwards. We’ve since sold the Maxima. The V70R has been driven for a couple years and many thousands of miles since that occurred, and all is fine.

Back