Inline Exhaust Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to redo my basement, and I found that the previous owner (and bulider) has a inline fan setup. Currently, this fan ventilates a rec-room area. Does anyone know why he would have set up a fan to ventilate the rec-room?

Further, if I rerouted the duct work, would this fan would be okay to ventilate a bathroom? The previous owner did not install a bathroom fan (yes, I know it doesn't meet code).

This is the type of fan that's installed:

XELICFAN_lg.jpG

Here's the company link to what seems to be the closest current model:

http://www.elicent.it/pages/Detail.aspx?ID=11

Strange thing is that when I googled the fan name, lots of hydroponics websites came up.

Looks a bit like the fan that takes radon out of my basement. It's of course attached to a pipe from the basement floor to above my roof.

was the run long/curvy enough that there was to much pressure drop to get a good flow to one area? I lived in an apartment for a while that was like that -the far bedroom didnt get any real flow, even with all the other ducts in the place closed.

I assume it is accessible to you, and that you can unplug it from a relay'ed outlet (or how does it turn on?). If so, turn it off, turn on the HVAC, and see if there is a vent issue without it running.

"bathroom" fans may be rated for wet/humid duty. If so, this may not be the best fan (unless it has similar ratings). I'd check into that first.

It may have been originally installed to assist with the HVAC, since there are no cold air intakes in the basement. I turned the furnace fan on and it seem to slightly improve the air flow.

The basement does get a little damp and musty in the summer, so it may have also been used for that (part of my reno is properly insulating the basement).

I hope it isn't used for Radon. As far as I know Radon isn't a problem in this area. The fan vents at the side of the house, not up a stack.

I am not sure if it is rated for humidity, but my guess is that it's okay for humid air if hydroponics places are selling these fans. I'll have to do a little more research.

Looks like a booster fan that is usually installed in a dryer vent for when the exhaust duct is a long run. By the way, putting a booster fan in supply ductwork is a joke. What it's going to do is generate unconditioned air through duct leakeage and supply it to the area. If a system is sized and installed right you don't need this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back