injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a good number of quality commercial injector/fuel system cleaners on the market (Redline SI-1, FP60, etc.) that also lubricate and protect the fuel system components. Why not use one of those?

I've heard of people adding straight acetone at ~1oz/10 gallons (don't quote me on that), but haven't heard about kerosene.

Stay less than 10% no matter what on kerosene. I tried getting rid of some by pouring it in the gas tank of my junker, and anything above 10% would get some good knocking. As far as cleaning abilities, I can't help you. Stick with the known stuff unless you have the money and parts to experiment with.

I don't think kerosene is an injector cleaner. Most injector cleaners use PEA. Regane is supposed to be 30-40% PEA. The kerosene in injector cleaners is the carrier.

quote:

Originally posted by ebaker:
I don't think kerosene is an injector cleaner. Most injector cleaners use PEA. Regane is supposed to be 30-40% PEA. The kerosene in injector cleaners is the carrier.

Most cleaners use PEA? I only know of four: Techron, BG-44K, Regane and one product from Berryman. What others use PEA?

Best OTC ( or in my case over the border ) is Gumout Regane maximum.. tried a few others OTC in Canada and it did basically squat other then feed the government via tax. It did make the idle a tad rougher and took .2 sec longer to turn the car over on crank.. but gettin better MPG with lots of WOT run then I would driving normally.

I still have a litre of Toulene that I haven't tried yet ( didn't have a funnel that will fit into the gas tank and long enough as so I won't spill any on the car paint.. paint thinner don't mix with GM already awful paint ) I did try toulene on the gas mower and it does great there.. just waiting for end of season ( before they switch to awful winter blend gas ) and try toulene to compare.

As for these "Top Tier" gas providers such as Shell, Chevron, etc.. I just have such a hard time beleiving that the propper amout of additive is put into the tanker.
So I use Chevron/Techron fuel system cleaner 2 times a year. Once in December, once in July, and use brand name gas and rest at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back