Initial review Kumho Solus TA-71 205/60-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2006 Volvo V70 had Kumho Solus TA-71 205/60-16 installed 2 weeks ago at America's Tire to replace no-name 205/55-16.

This Volvo is my daughter's car, she drives it 2-3 times a weeks to work about 55-60 miles round trip.

I drove the car few times, mostly on surface streets only 3-5 miles on highway.

My impression with TA-71 is it's very quiet and smooth ride, it absorbs minor bumps very well. In term of ride I think it may be better than Cooper CS5 Ultra touring on the E430. The ride comparison is a little unfair for Cooper, because the size of Cooper is 235/45-17, but I think the quietness of TA-71 is probably valid for any size.

I didn't have a chance to test the performance/handling yet, but I think if anyone has ride as highest priority then Kumho Solus TA-71 should be on the list to compare with others.

The bonus is TA-71 is fairly cheap at $72/ea for size 205/60-16, it is hard to beat. Tax and installation of 4 total $390, but with rebates the net cost should be either $200 or $260, depends if I get Kumho rebate or not.

When my other daughter car 2014 Honda Accord needs tire(probably in a year or two) I will probably buy this TA-71 for her, if there are no rebate from other manufactures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Dad drives an '00, daughter 1 drives an '07, daughter 2 drives a '14, dad buys the tires.

Sounds about right! Gotta take care of the girls.

They are adults now, but in my mind they are kids and I'm still taking care of their cars and other stubs, probably until I can't whenever it will be.

Glad to see a review on these tires. They seem like a great value
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Considering you wont need to worry about snow (assuming) it sounds like you chose a good tire. Nice work.

Are they not good for those who do have snow to deal with during the winter ? There are not that many reviews so what is the consensus on the winter performance?

Originally Posted By: Cressida
Considering you wont need to worry about snow (assuming) it sounds like you chose a good tire. Nice work.

Are they not good for those who do have snow to deal with during the winter ? There are not that many reviews so what is the consensus on the winter performance?

I have no idea. The tire is very new and we didn't even had any rain since I bought the tire 3 weeks ago. There is no snow in So Cal so I have no idea how it will perform on snow.

After 500-600 miles I will try some hard cornering to see how the tire behave, as of now I like the soft ride and low noise.

Received 2 debit cards from America's Tire, one is $75 for buying 4 better tires and the other is $60 for using its credit card. Waiting for Kumho approval, they received the mailed rebate form a week ago.

America's Tire (and Discount Tire) rebates were/are painless, fill out rebate online was so easy, took me about 1-2 minutes to fill out few lines. Less than a month later received bot rebates for the exact amount without drama.

If Sopus rebate is as easy as AT/DT, I would buy more Sopus products.

Originally Posted By: Cressida

I checked and they do not seem to be a tire one would want to be using if you have much snow to deal with - so I have no further interest.

I've been considering this tire and have read every review I could find. Regarding snow and ice performance Consumer reports gave it average ratings. Tire Rack consumer survey results showed high ratings for winter performance. The only place where I saw poor winter performance reported was the Tire Rack actual snow tests.

Tire tests and reviews never seem to totally agree about any tire.

Looking at the tread pattern of this TA-71, I think it is below average for snow and ice.

If you are looking for all season with good snow&ice performance the General RT43 is probably better, or Cooper CS5 Grand Touring.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
The General RT43 does not come in my size and Cooper Tire is running a $70 rebate until 7-15. I do like the look of the CS5 Ultra.

You need to find out which one is better on snow and ice, Ultra Touring or Grand Touring, if you plan to use the all-season tire year round. I have no experience with snow or ice so I can't say anything about it.

I think Ultra Touring is better than Grand Touring on dry surface, and we have no more than 10-15 rainy days a year in So Cal so I had it for E430.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I have no idea. The tire is very new and we didn't even had any rain since I bought the tire 3 weeks ago. There is no snow in So Cal so I have no idea how it will perform on snow.

After 500-600 miles I will try some hard cornering to see how the tire behave, as of now I like the soft ride and low noise.

It does snow in SoCal. The coastal part doesn't see snow, but in the mountains of SoCal, there is snow, and I believe they got plenty of real snow last season, which good for Mammoth, Bear, etc.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

It does snow in SoCal. The coastal part doesn't see snow, but in the mountains of SoCal, there is snow, and I believe they got plenty of real snow last season, which good for Mammoth, Bear, etc.

True. It does snow on So Cal mountains. But the mountains are a couple hours drive from the beach, and I was at Mammoth and Big Bear only twice in the last 35 years. I drive there 2-3 days after snow storm, the street was very dry and no sign of any snow flake on the street surface.

Last edited:
Received 2 debit cards from America's Tire, one is $75 for buying 4 better tires and the other is $60 for using their credit card. Waiting for Kumho approval, they received the mailed rebate form a week ago.

I mailed only the first page of the receipt along with rebate form, the first page didn't have the payment details, Kumho emailed asking for a copy of payment detail receipt either by mail or fax or online. I scanned the second page and forwarded it online, few days later they approved it.

I wasn't sure about Kumho rebate with buying their tires from DT, because DT(AT in my case) doesn't have Kumho rebate form, I downloaded rebate form from Tirerack. Kumho form says that rebate isn't available for buying tire from Walmart, Walmart.com, Ebay ... But didn't say anything about DT or DTD.

So I took my chance, if I received rebate from Kumho it would be a bonus, if not I will be okay with it. Now they approved the rebate of $60 for buying 4 Solus TA71.

Total rebates for 205/60-16 are $195 so the out of pocket cost after rebate is $195 installed($390 before rebates). Not bad for second tier tire, to me Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, Brigestone ... are first tier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back