Initial fill for new transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like I'm getting a new 4L60E again for my van. Not from the same shop as last time. This one will be off-the-shelf, with a shift kit and hardened sun shell from a shop that does those things as standard practice. I assume that I can just take them a couple of cases of ATF and they'll use it rather than whatever bulk stuff they have.

So what would you use? Mobil 1? Amsoil? SuperTech? j/k about the SuperTech, it's probably what they have in bulk anyway. I wouldn't spend $10 a quart for motor oil, but ATF is going to be in use a lot longer, so I don't mind spending a few bucks.

You will laugh but I was really going to suggest supertech DexVI...it is licensed and when I had a yukon with the 4L60 I put that in there because it was cheap enough I could do a drain and fill every 10k miles if I wanted to. But if you don't want to go that way I would go Amsoil, Mobil 1, Or Redline.

Last edited:
Run the shop dex/merc for 1,000 miles then switch to Maxlife.

Maxlife is far superior to any mineral dex/merc or any DexronVI, but you want to wash the break in contaminants out too, so use the shop dex/merc for that.

That transmission isn't particularly choosy when it comes to ATF, however my choice would be any Licensed Dex VI or Merc V to enjoy their longer drain capabilities (once you do a short drain to get rid of initial wear materials).

+2 on letting the shop use their fluid and switching to Maxlife. Always had great results with their transmission fluids.

Just put MaxLife Syn into my 700R4 today.
smile.gif

Let the shop fluid run the trash out first.

I would say go with Royal Purple or BG ATF. Either one will do a great job. Then just change it every 30-50k miles and enjoy your new transmission! I wouldn't want the bulk stuff if I didn't have to.

Any full synthetic equivalent DexronIII or VI. License or not doesn't make a difference at this point.

An inline filter would be a smart investment.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Maxlife is far superior to any mineral dex/merc or any DexronVI, but you want to wash the break in contaminants out too, so use the shop dex/merc for that.

Are you suggesting a flush at 1000 miles to replace all of the fluid, or a pan drop to replace maybe a third of the fluid?

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Are you suggesting a flush at 1000 miles to replace all of the fluid, or a pan drop to replace maybe a third of the fluid?

Pan drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back