Ingredients and manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious if anyone out there has any opinions on the specific ingredients of synthetic oils, Mobil One, Edge, etc? I wonder if there is anything special about their additives, specifically the modifiers, oil protectors, and surface protectors? It’s hard to know what to base a purchase on, when I can’t tell if any of the specific ingredients truly matter. Also, is it important how the oil is made, beyond just the specific ingredients used? Do the so-called “proprietary formulations” really matter in any of these synthetic oils?

The marketing departments would have you believe that "proprietary formulations" are what make the oil the best on the shelf, but the truth is any oil that meets the standards set out by your engine manufacturer in your owners manual will give you more miles that you will ever want with no problems.

So in summary, use the proper oil that meets your engines requirements and your comfort level and sleep happy. Nothing they put in the oil really matters so long as it gets the job done!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not sure what you drive, first of all.

But, I see your point. But you do know that any oil that meets the SM spec will run to your manufacturer's OCI will give adequate protection. So base it on price, or if you live in upstate consider a synthetic in winter to ease starting.

My two cents.

thanks very much. I have a 2008 landrover LR2 and live in a suburb of New York City.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Geocon
I am curious if anyone out there has any opinions on the specific ingredients of synthetic oils, Mobil One, Edge, etc? I wonder if there is anything special about their additives, specifically the modifiers, oil protectors, and surface protectors? It’s hard to know what to base a purchase on, when I can’t tell if any of the specific ingredients truly matter. Also, is it important how the oil is made, beyond just the specific ingredients used? Do the so-called “proprietary formulations” really matter in any of these synthetic oils?

Yes, the additive packages are often what distinguishes two different motor oils, along with differences in the base oil (some are Group III synthetics, and some are mostly Group IV, although not very many appear to be all Group IV/V base stock).

The same is true of gas for your car, where there are only a couple of local refineries, and all the gas brands get their gas from the local refineries even if they belong to a different oil company and add their own additives to make them different.

Now whether there is a big difference, or even a noticeable difference between Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge, etc for a passenger car application is debatable given that they are all high quality synthetic oils that exceed the engine manufacturer specs that are required.

More important is picking the right oil (including viscosity) than picking the right brand of synthetic. If you are talking about conventional oil, then maybe the margin of safety is not quite so large, so pick a quality brand (but I don't recommend conventional oil to people with late model cars).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back