Infrequently Used 2011 Grand Sport

Hi
I drive my vette every 2 months. I have been pulling the pump relay to crank without starting as a pre-lube to avoid dry starts, between drives. The LS3 has 15K miles/dry sump and gets Penzoil Pure Platinum 5W-30 w/Fram Ultra filter annually. Is this a good practice? Thank you.

There is no need to pull the relay to pre-lube, as dry starts won't hurt anything. Nothing wrong with PP 5w30 and the Ultra annually

I have been pulling the pump relay to crank without starting as a pre-lube to avoid dry starts, between drives.

No need to pull any relays to crank the motor without starting. On the C6, or at least on mine, if you hold the accelerator to the floor before pushing the start button it will crank for 10 seconds without starting, or until you release the clutch. I do this before starting when taking the car out of winter storage. Not sure if it really helps or not, but it makes me feel a little better about it.

... On the C6, or at least on mine, if you hold the accelerator to the floor before pushing the start button it will crank for 10 seconds without starting, or until you release the clutch. ...

Interesting! Is this a designed feature or something peculiar you accidentally discovered?

Interesting! Is this a designed feature or something peculiar you accidentally discovered?

Pedal to the floor used to be "flood clear" mode, which cuts off the injectors, or was on EEC-IV Fords, I expect it is universal and may be part of OBD or similar.

Pedal to the floor used to be "flood clear" mode, which cuts off the injectors, or was on EEC-IV Fords, I expect it is universal and may be part of OBD or similar.

I thought maybe it was designed that way to do the "pre-lube" as op does.

Sounds like the "pre-lube" guys found a loophole to do their pre-lube. lol
Not trying to criticise the practice but learned something new from StillLearning. :)

Hi
I drive my vette every 2 months. I have been pulling the pump relay to crank without starting as a pre-lube to avoid dry starts, between drives. The LS3 has 15K miles/dry sump and gets Penzoil Pure Platinum 5W-30 w/Fram Ultra filter annually. Is this a good practice? Thank you.

If it was my car, I would go 3 years.
1 year is too quick.
Maybe you should consider 2 years.

I know some oil companies say 1 year max ... but I don't believe and/or follow that rule.

Hi

No need to pull the relay.

EFI cars have a fuel cut off that's activated by flooring the throttle. Just push the throttle to the floor, crank until you have oil pressure then release the throttle and it will start.

Try it for yourself when you are not worried about a dry start.

I have a 2006 Mustang GT that I drive about as much as you drive your Vette. I do oil changes every 2 to 3 years.

Back