info on GM OnStar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hear a bad rumor about GM. Did anyone see/get info on GM's Onstar tracking us for seatbelt usage while driving? A 1984 OR Welling thing?

Found info on a Caddy site. I had my '02 GMC P/U updated over analog.

I ask you, I own so many GM cars 1 that is new to have OnStar.

Why o' why did I drop OnStar?

i would never, never own or buy any gm product especially owned by the gov. i bet they had something to do with on star tracking you even after you cancel....i never did like the onstar thing when it started years ago!! and here they make it sound like it can save your life what a scam to push using on star. on star tracts everything!!

Last edited:
No GM is bad! they sux....

GM heads or HQ or the issue. Tackle the one's one top.

WoW got a Ford expert... So was I a Ford Man until the advanceme of the Hemi! Never lost on a Mopar/Hemi

Last edited:
If they call paramedics for you after you wreck and can tell them you were going 27 MPH, didn't brake, and had your seat belt on, that would be info the medics would want to know.

I would like to see a firm citation for this rumor though.

Originally Posted By: oppirs
Did anyone see/get info on GM's Onstar tracking us for seatbelt usage while driving?

No, but why aren't you wearing your seat belt to begin with. The only thing it's going to do is save your life. But I digress.
28.gif

Any of the cars made in the last 10 years or so will keep a computer record of everything that happened just before an incedent. If Big Brother wants to track you and listen to you they will do that on your cell phone. Life is a lot more complicated than it was in the 1970's.

BTW, they can listen and track you from your cell phone even if you are not on a call. Any High School hacker can do that these days.

Last edited:

WoW got a Ford expert... So was I a Ford Man until the advanceme of the Hemi! Never lost on a Mopar/Hemi

MetalSlug?!??! Is that you???

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Any of the cars made in the last 10 years or so will keep a computer record of everything that happened just before an incedent. If Big Brother wants to track you and listen to you they will do that on your cell phone. Life is a lot more complicated than it was in the 1970's.

BTW, they can listen and track you from your cell phone even if you are not on a call. Any High School hacker can do that these days.

Gosh! and 1984 was only 27 years ago!

p.s. Color TV's have been "two-way" for at least a generation...

Onstar helped my daughter out a year or so back when she ran off the road. Of course, she was on her dang cell phone, forgot about the 90 degree right hand turn at the bottom of this hill, and went straight into a bean field.

Police and paramedics were there swiftly...thanks to Onstar. So, it can be helpful in that respect.

Having said that, I won't ever own a vehicle with Onstar...or a GM product for that matter. Not bashing GM.....just dont't care for anything they make.

My wife, on the other hand, is looking at a new Camaro. I may be forced to ride in a GM product...LOL!

I have onstar, and I plan on renewing it. I like that when I go on a trip, I can call them and tell them I want to stop at a certain time, book me the best hotel rate, and find dinner. And they do it. Also, find the cheapest gas.

And if I were to get in an accident, no matter where, I can press the emergency button. It works off a combination of cellular networks and satellite.

If I lock my keys in my car, I'm fine. If my car gets stolen, I can report it stolen, Onstar can contact the police and locate the car, and remotely shut it off. It's actually quite a useful program.

LOL at all the paranoid people "THE GOVRRNMENT IS TRACKING ME!!!!" . Oh, get over it. You have a cell phone? You can be tracked. I for one think that tracking seatbelt usage is a good thing. In most states it is illegal to not wear your seatbelt, and it's just common sense to wear it anyway. They can track me all I want, I don't care.

So what if they see I go to walmart, and then fridays, and then my girlfriends house? Who CARES?

I didn't understand any of this other than "blahblahblahblahGMbashinglolGMusux0rz". Seriously? Just stop.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I have onstar, and I plan on renewing it. I like that when I go on a trip, I can call them and tell them I want to stop at a certain time, book me the best hotel rate, and find dinner. And they do it. Also, find the cheapest gas.

And if I were to get in an accident, no matter where, I can press the emergency button. It works off a combination of cellular networks and satellite.

If I lock my keys in my car, I'm fine. If my car gets stolen, I can report it stolen, Onstar can contact the police and locate the car, and remotely shut it off. It's actually quite a useful program.

LOL at all the paranoid people "THE GOVRRNMENT IS TRACKING ME!!!!" . Oh, get over it. You have a cell phone? You can be tracked. I for one think that tracking seatbelt usage is a good thing. In most states it is illegal to not wear your seatbelt, and it's just common sense to wear it anyway. They can track me all I want, I don't care.

So what if they see I go to walmart, and then fridays, and then my girlfriends house? Who CARES?

One - Because my control over my freedom is my business, not someone else's. Two - all of these 'features' are not valuable to me, nor are worth the tradeoff of privacy. If you want to, fine, but they should give us on a permanent physical disconnect.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
[/quote]

One - Because my control over my freedom is my business, not someone else's. Two - all of these 'features' are not valuable to me, nor are worth the tradeoff of privacy. If you want to, fine, but they should give us on a permanent physical disconnect.

Guess you don't carry any kind of cell phone around...

Baaa, BAAAA, Baaaa! The PC blat of...

Sheep being led by the nose to the slaughter!

p.s. Maybe NCIS can track your cell phone, but...

Why would they?

Now, having OnStar track you, monitor your personal choices, etc.

That's a "whole 'nother smoke"!

What's stupid is voluntarily giving up your rights. For what? Apps? Features? Who cares.

Good idea: trust them do the right thing. Yea right, they have your best interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back