info on GM OnStar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget that Onstar is NOT only in GM cars. It has and is licensed to other car makers...such as Acura. My friends 2003 TL has onstar. Not sure if they still offer it today. They also sell kits now to retro fit it into many makes and can be purchased and installed by places like Best Buy. I'd hate to have my car butchered up for that!

My car is equipped for OnStar, but the subscription has expired and I'm not interested in renewing it. One fine afternoon last year, without warning, it took over my stereo with a 2-minute recorded message about OnStar's features, encouraging me to subscribe. I didn't know where it was coming from at first, and I couldn't turn it off!

It wasn't triggered by some mileage marker like 75,000 miles. Scared the coffee out of me. They've got no business doing that. Set a little blinker to flashing on the rear view mirror, okay, and then the driver can press the button to hear the message. But this commandeered my radio!

(Besides, when -- uh, I mean if I ever have to dump a body somewhere, I don't want 'em knowing about it.)

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Let's not forget that Onstar is NOT only in GM cars. It has and is licensed to other car makers...such as Acura. My friends 2003 TL has onstar. Not sure if they still offer it today. They also sell kits now to retro fit it into many makes and can be purchased and installed by places like Best Buy. I'd hate to have my car butchered up for that!

I would like to get one of those kits for my wifes car. I wonder how much they are.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I would like to get one of those kits for my wifes car. I wonder how much they are.

Looks like $275

Last edited by a moderator:
I like OnStar and have the full smack - cell phone, safe and sound, and nav enabled on the three Pontiacs. The Solstice is hardly ever driven so it's not the greatest value on that car, but OnStar has nothing to do with that - it's my choice not to use the car much.

I may retrofit the S-10 with OnStar now that's its available for old cars/trucks. I'm good with electrical stuff, but I don't have the nerve to try to integtrate the mirror into one of the Jags. Availability of OnStar or a similar service will definitely be a factor in my next new car purchase.

The current composition and agenda of government absolutely scares the daylights out of me, but worrying about big brother watching where I drive and what I say in my car is so far off of my radar screen of things to worry about that it's laughable.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
What's stupid is voluntarily giving up your rights. For what? Apps? Features? Who cares.

Good idea: trust them do the right thing. Yea right, they have your best interests.

WOW.. its a automotive feature.. where "freedom" comes into play might be a stretch..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back