Infiniti M45 oil capacity discrepencies

We've had this vehicle about 5 months. The manual states the capacity is 5.75 qts with a filter change and 5.25 qts without. The first time I changed the oil on this vehicle, I started by putting in 5 qts, waited about 15 minutes (according to the manual), then checked the oil and noted it was about 25% above the low mark on the dipstick. I then added another 3/4 qt to get it to 5.75 qts, waited 15 minutes, and noted the level was about 65% above the low mark. So I added the last 1/4 qt to make it an even 6 qts. and it still was only about 75% above the low mark (25% below the full mark). I let it sit overnight and checked it the next day and the fluid level had not changed. So this time around, I started with 6 qts and indeed it was about 25% below the full mark. So I slowly started adding oil and checking and it ended up taking 6.5 qts to get to the full mark on the dipstick. By my math, that is a full 2 qts between the low mark and high mark.

Anyone else with similar experiences with the VK45DE engine?

This engine is known to consume oil and I've read Infiniti/Nissan techs state that up to 1 qt per 1200 miles is considered "normal". This car, on its maiden OCI with me, consumed about 1 qt per 2100 miles. Maybe Infiniti made such a massive sump to account for the known oil consumption?

Whenever I change fluids I try to get it close to full then drive it around...let it sit a bit then check it again

1638133211630.jpg

The Amsoil page for this car says the AWD model takes 6.1qts with filter.

Aparently there's service doccuments that say it can take up to 7qts on a new dry engine, I think 5.75 is just a safe number for quick lube places that usually just draw a specific amount out of bulk tanks and dump it in, the 5.75 amount is a safe amount to where the engine has enough oil without being over or underfilled during a typical service.

new, used, mileage, oil type?
Bought used with 143k miles. It's an '06. Infiniti specs 5W-30 API SJ or SL. When we bought the car it had Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30 (according to Carfax report and Walmart sticker inside windshield). After much research on the Infiniti and Nissan forums as well as here, I went with Mobil 1 0W-40 as it was the most popular choice by owners on those forums. This time around, I put in Castrol Edge 0W-40.

Regardless, oil type doesn't matter with regard to dipstick reading vs. Infiniti's oil capacity recommendations.

Here's some screenshots from the manual:
oil capacity.jpg

check oil.jpg

oil type.jpg

At 143k id definitely try replacing the pcv valve and whole can of seafoam which is more than what is supposed to be used but it could help since varnish and small deposits over time can effect the oil control rings even with regular changes. Some on here had cars that burned then stopped after a vigorous cleaning after a few hundred miles.

You can always overfill an engine by a quart and it wont hurt. Overfill a 4qt civic by 1qt and it's fine.

Also wouldn't bother using that oil. It burns just a bit too fast and it's a thin 40 grade. I'd try Valvoline or quaker state since theyre high mileage syn belnd 10w-40's and higher up on the 40 grade viscosity. 15.7 and 15.9 respectively and you can order from walmart since theyre not always available in store.

Does it have the right dipstick ?

At the end of the day, use the dipstick (presuming it's the right one) to determine the proper oil level.

At 143k id definitely try replacing the pcv valve and whole can of seafoam which is more than what is supposed to be used but it could help since varnish and small deposits over time can effect the oil control rings even with regular changes. Some on here had cars that burned then stopped after a vigorous cleaning after a few hundred miles.

You can always overfill an engine by a quart and it wont hurt. Overfill a 4qt civic by 1qt and it's fine.

Also wouldn't bother using that oil. It burns just a bit too fast and it's a thin 40 grade. I'd try Valvoline or quaker state since theyre high mileage syn belnd 10w-40's and higher up on the 40 grade viscosity. 15.7 and 15.9 respectively and you can order from walmart since theyre not always available in store.
I didn't replace them, but I did clean out the PCV valves in the middle of the last OCI. Got them clicking nicely again. I'm going to monitor consumption on this OCI and if it doesn't improve, I'll replace them. From what I've read, the oil consumption is mostly due to poor choice of piston rings. I've read two different Infiniti techs comment on this. So, blow-by and you can't do much about it.

I live in an area where winters average below freezing. Last February, we got down to -20 and had negative temps for 4 days straight. More typically, we're in the 15-30 F range though. Otherwise, 10W-40 might be an option.

Does it have the right dipstick ?

At the end of the day, use the dipstick (presuming it's the right one) to determine the proper oil level.
I would hope so! The color and shape of the handle matches engine photos I've seen.

I didn't replace them, but I did clean out the PCV valves in the middle of the last OCI. Got them clicking nicely again. I'm going to monitor consumption on this OCI and if it doesn't improve, I'll replace them. From what I've read, the oil consumption is mostly due to poor choice of piston rings. I've read two different Infiniti techs comment on this. So, blow-by and you can't do much about it.

I live in an area where winters average below freezing. Last February, we got down to -20 and had negative temps for 4 days straight. More typically, we're in the 15-30 F range though. Otherwise, 10W-40 might be an option.
mobil 1 full syn 10w-40 is around 15.3 cst but has a lower cold pour than the other two. id try it in the winters and i bet it'll flow fine. Hopefully the pcv helps significantly as you said it wasn't clicking before which is good. there's room for improvement.

Around here, it doesn't seem like 10W oils are too popular or common, at least not unless it's in 20+ year old trucks ! Nissan VQ or VK engines seem to do great with 0W-40 oils. I've used it (Edge) in my G35X but it's noisy so I switched back to Magnatec which isn't available in 0W-40.

I would hope so! The color and shape of the handle matches engine photos I've seen.
People can replace them but it sounds like yours is at least a Nissan dipstick vs a generic, parts store replacement. Other than finding someone with the same engine that can measure theirs for you to check, I'd just go with it's the right one.

Stop overthinking, make it easy on yourself and add 6 quarts at each change, then check it once and awhile.
I didn't think I was overthinking it. I've never come across a car that needed almost a full quart more than the manufacturer spec to get the level to the full mark. Since I have to buy two 5qt jugs anyway (still cheaper than buying individual qts especially if I'll have to be topping off), I think I'll just start with 6.5 qts at the oil change, then use the rest of the 2nd 5qt jug for topping off, then use any that's left on the next OCI. If I get it to the full mark that's less topping off I'll have to do throughout the rest of the OCI.

Actually, now that I think about it, a 3.0L Ranger I used to own called for 4.5 qts, which got it to the center of the dipstick. If you put 5 qts, it would be at the full mark. That's .5 qt over, whereas the M45 is .75 qt over.

Why all the fuss fill it to the full mark and get on with life!
That's what I just said I did. LOL.

Part of the "fuss" was not wanting to overfill the crankcase to the point where oil was foaming, oil pump was working too hard, and seals were over-saturated.

I have an FX45, same engine VK45DE.
It takes 6 quarts for the oil to be exactly at the full line.
Btw, for a V8, especially one that consumes some oil, this is not a massive sump in any way.
Mine has about the same oil consumption like yours - 1 quart every 2000mi.
I've used Mobil, Castrol and Redline all 0W40, all showed about the same consumption.
I've even tried Liqui Moly 10W60 Synthoil Race Tech GT1, which did consume a bit less, but the engine felt sluggish with it, so I'm back to 0W40 now.

Last edited:
I have an FX45, same engine VK45DE.
It takes 6 quarts for the oil to be exactly at the full line.
Btw, for a V8, especially one that consumes some oil, this is not a massive sump in any way.
Mine has about the same oil consumption like yours - 1 quart every 2000mi.
I've used Mobil, Castrol and Redline all 0W40, all showed about the same consumption.
I've even tried Liqui Moly 10W60 Synthoil Race Tech GT1, which did consume a bit less, but the engine felt sluggish with it, so I'm back to 0W40 now.
Hmm. So either my dipstick is off, or the M45 has a slightly larger sump than the FX45. Thank you for the info. (y)

Back