Infiniti M45 excessive oil consumption...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My So's father bought a new 2003 M45 back in February. I talked to him this weekend and he's just coming up on his first scheduled service at 7500 miles. In the first 7500 miles he's had to add 4 quarts of oil!
shocked.gif
He told me it's slowed some since new new, the first 2 quarts went in less than 1500 miles each!

Every time he's topped it up with M1 so that's a good thing I think, and he did lodge a complaint with Nissan a few months back. He in no way thrashes the car and there are no leaks anywhere.

I did tell him I'd have changed the oil sooner, but I could offer him nothing more other than to tell him I'd post it to see if anyone else has seen this problem. Honestly, I'm convinced he's going to be stuck with a car that uses far too much oil and get the run around all the way until the warranty expires...
frown.gif

[ June 28, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Definitely take it to the dealer. That is waaay beyond normal. Something might not have broken in right.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Definitely take it to the dealer. That is waaay beyond normal. Something might not have broken in right.

Headed there this week. He's not a car guy at all, but even he knew that was *way* too much. I really feel bad for him, that's all...

How surprising. The trip to the dealer today got him an oil change, the 7500 mile service and the explanation that this is normal oil consumption.
rolleyes.gif

The dealer claims one quart in 3000 miles is no problem and typical. They had no answer when he pointed out that consumption was at least twice that much.

His first call tomorrow will be to the district manager. Any bets on what run around he gets from them?? Grrrrr.........

I know exactly how you fix manufacturers like this. You stop putting oil in. You then drive it until it seizes. Add the full amount back in and have it towed to the dealer. Then shrug your shoulders when they ask you what happened...
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
If he's using M1 5/10W30 ask him to move up a viscosity to say 0/5W40. That usually helps consumption issues.

I mentioned he might suggest a heavier weight, but the dealer did the change and used the "recommended" weight of M1. He's going to call them tomorrow to find out what they used so we'll at least know what they've tried so far. As I said before, he's not a car guy plus he lives 1000 miles from me so I can't even drop by the dealer with him to help. It's difficult to do this via remote.

I just feel bad for him and he asked me for opinions because he knows of my interests in this area...

Wow! That sounds like a Cadillac Northstar!!..and that is bad. LOL I'm sure he paid a pretty penny for the new vehicle, and that is honestly unacceptable, not even for the inconvienence of having to add the extra oil, but for what this could potentially mean for engine issues in the future! If the district mgr isn't much help, contact the federal trade commission or atty general's office. That usually gets a stir. Good luck!!

I'm guessing that some engines just don't come out of the factory as good as others and some are just not breaking in like they should. Why do some cars consume NO oil and some 1 qt every 3k miles? There really isn't any other way to explain it. Dealers always give people a hard time when it comes to issues like this. That really sux.

I here a lot about the V-Tec consuming oil if the Honda oil isn't used until 7k miles, yet some change it early and never have a problem. It's strange.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
jsharp, based on the last three vehicles I've owned ('90 Integra, '95 Civic and '03 Sentra SpecV) I'd agree that new cars in good condition shouldn't consume any motor oils in normal use.

I think you're on the right track. Follow the mfr's recommnedations to the letter and document everything. If it was older and out of warranty I'd be tempted to experiment with other weights and other possible fixes as sprintman said, but not with a brand new luxury car.

Bring it back to the dealer a week after a dealer-performed oil change and have them top off the oil. Let them see the oil at the lower part of the dipstick after just a few weeks.
tongue.gif

Of course, when buying a premium luxury car, you shouldn't have to go through this kind of nonsense.
rolleyes.gif

What engine does this beast have?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

It's a 4.5L, 340Hp V8. Even in such a big sedan it has plenty of power. That's another reason I know he hasn't run it too hard. I think he might be a bit intimidated by it since he's not used to having a car with any power at all.

The last few newer cars I've had could have had the oil level painted on the stick. It's in exaclty the same place running 7K-10K intervals. That's how modern engines are supposed to work IMO.

It this point I think he's going to become a fixture at the dealer and on the phone until it gets fixed. Such a nice car it's a shame...

Is it possible that your breaking it in TOO easy?? Newer engines need to be flexed some to seat the rings so they don't get glazed. I would warm the car up driving normally and the give it some nearly WOT for several seconds at a time for a dozen times or so. I would then check and top up the oil as closly to the top line as I could eyeball it. Drive normally for a 1,000 miles and recheck to see if things improved. ed

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'm guessing that some engines just don't come out of the factory as good as others and some are just not breaking in like they should. Why do some cars consume NO oil and some 1 qt every 3k miles? There really isn't any other way to explain it. Dealers always give people a hard time when it comes to issues like this. That really sux.

I here a lot about the V-Tec consuming oil if the Honda oil isn't used until 7k miles, yet some change it early and never have a problem. It's strange.

You're right about this. I think I probably have pretty rigid view on this though. I consider anything more than a quart of oil over the standard change interval to be excessive on a new but broken in engine.Anything more on a new engine tells me the engine was poorly designed or assembled.

I base this on the 5 new vehicles I've owned over the years and 15 or 20 used ones, and dozens of motorcycle engines I've rebuilt. *None* of them used anything close to this amount of oil unless they were tired or improperly assembled...

jsharp, based on the last three vehicles I've owned ('90 Integra, '95 Civic and '03 Sentra SpecV) I'd agree that new cars in good condition shouldn't consume any motor oils in normal use.

I think you're on the right track. Follow the mfr's recommnedations to the letter and document everything. If it was older and out of warranty I'd be tempted to experiment with other weights and other possible fixes as sprintman said, but not with a brand new luxury car.

Bring it back to the dealer a week after a dealer-performed oil change and have them top off the oil. Let them see the oil at the lower part of the dipstick after just a few weeks.
tongue.gif

Of course, when buying a premium luxury car, you shouldn't have to go through this kind of nonsense.
rolleyes.gif

What engine does this beast have?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back