Infiniti G37 sedan -- brake pedal failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, brake pedal failure. As in, the brake pedal starts feeling crunchy and eventually breaks off during driving.

This has happened to my friend's G37xS sedan twice now (he's lucky he hasn't crashed), and it's starting to happen again. Infiniti is refusing to take care of him. They just wait until the pedal breaks, fix it under warranty, and then play dumb as though each incident is the first they've heard of the problem.

Some quick Googling suggests that the problem is not unheard-of. I can't imagine the problem is widespread -- I'm really wary of how the Internet can make extremely rare things seem like epidemics -- but it's certainly recall material IMO, and Infiniti isn't lifting a finger.

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the G37. Great steering, good chassis, just enough refinement for the segment, and a good helping of bad-boy attitude. One of the last bastions of good naturally aspirated engines, too. Now that BMW's lineup has gone limp, I really want to recommend the G37 as the next best thing to a legit enthusiast's car.

Now, I sincerely hope everyone stays away.

FWIW.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the brake pedal is supposed to be one of the strongest parts of the car.to have one break is like chickin teeth

Agreed. You should be able to two-foot the brake pedal like a full-on boss and break something else before that. A brake pedal failure should be unheard of.

That seems to be everyone's response. I agree completely. The brake pedal should be unbreakable by anyone under any circumstances, let alone an average Joe just commuting to work.

I just spoke with a friend of mine who runs an Infiniti repair shop -- he says that he has seen that a problem occasionally and it is due to a vacuum booster failure.

He said that he'd be glad to discuss it with your friend on the phone -- just PM me for the number.

Guess Nissan's waiting for one or two to get killed first, and then being forced to recall. After having personally watched them let 02-03 2.5L model engines go terminal because of defective precats and do nothing about it, can't say I'm surprised.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
That seems to be everyone's response. I agree completely. The brake pedal should be unbreakable by anyone under any circumstances, let alone an average Joe just commuting to work.

Not sure about 'anyone', but it is absolutely not supposed to just snap off! I've had gas pedals break in old fleet trucks but never a brake pedal, and a few rather strong individuals have worked here!

This seems like yet another example where the stealership let the client down during a service encounter...

I'm not quite sure I understand fully! Do you mean that the brake pedal arm(made of steel) is bending/failing?

And I agree with Chris142 that the brake pedal steel(arm) is not suppose to fail and I believe - by law! And this law/rule goes back many, many years!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I just spoke with a friend of mine who runs an Infiniti repair shop -- he says that he has seen that a problem occasionally and it is due to a vacuum booster failure.

He said that he'd be glad to discuss it with your friend on the phone -- just PM me for the number.
Was your friend able to to explain how failure in the vacuum booster leads to brake pedal braking off? You are mechanically inclined, so I presume you would either question that reasoning or explain it.

Interesting info on Infinity. I own an Acura and they seem to constantly fix issues with notices in my 2007 MDX that plague plebian Honda owners. They even hand me a loaner. I have had 4 service bulletins(new PS pump, trans reprogam with Torque Converter replacement, Cat convertor failure covered) performed between 90k-105k miles at not cost to me. No idea why they changed my torque convertor as it did not exhibit any symptoms.

Although I understand Acura besides MDX is a blip in market and perception is everything in keeping customers.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Interesting info on Infinity. I own an Acura and they seem to constantly fix issues with notices in my 2007 MDX that plague plebian Honda owners. They even hand me a loaner. I have had 4 service bulletins(new PS pump, trans reprogam with Torque Converter replacement, Cat convertor failure covered) performed between 90k-105k miles at not cost to me. No idea why they changed my torque convertor as it did not exhibit any symptoms.

Although I understand Acura besides MDX is a blip in market and perception is everything in keeping customers.

Will you be buying another?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Was your friend able to to explain how failure in the vacuum booster leads to brake pedal braking off? You are mechanically inclined, so I presume you would either question that reasoning or explain it.

To be honest, I never read the original post until now -- I handed off the phone to my friend. And after thinking about it some more, perhaps he read just the title and not the whole post. Oops.

Most likely, your friend heard "brake is broke" aka does not work; pedal breaking off is a whole different type of failure!

Thought I'd update this thread.

First of all, thanks for the offer for help, Critic -- even if it was based on a misread. I'm sorry I missed it. Not sure how, but at some point I must have un-subscribed from the thread.

Back on the original topic: While I can't speak on the details, the short version is that my friend has been through a lot in the past year, and Infiniti still hasn't stepped up. Entirely to be expected, but still pretty horrifying.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Heh, another of those Honda autos that everyone claims is rock-solid reliable and "not like the old ones". They aren't that much better. I can't believe Honda's trying out a 9-speed. Must be a bunch of masochists over at HoA.

I can't imagine a brake pedal failure like the OP described, unless we are all interpreting this incorrectly. Hope the owner has pictures and/or evidence. I'd go right for the jugular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back