Inexpensive tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want an inexpensive Tablet to play with while on my once a year 2 week vacation. I would use it primarily for email and web surfing. Wold be nice to have a Word processor or similar for grocery lists, tasks etc. Anyone have an inexpensive tablet they would recommend? Thank you. Ed Hayes

You can buy ones on ebay for $40 that will work for just email and internet. If thats ALL your doing, no games, just get a basic ebay/walmart one.

On the app stores you can download note pads and most do come with them stock. I have a Samsung galaxy s3 lite $110 ish. Paired with 16gb sd card. Its my laptop essentially

I was given one of these for Christmas by the family
http://www.pendo.com.au/pendopad-10-1-quad-core-black-pndp51m10blk/

Not as expensive at the post office as at that store.

Intent was while we were on cruise, it would be the "go to" device with the single wifi licence on board.
* Kindle
* emails
* BITOG and LINKEDIN
* War and Order (me with 4 accounts - can't play the google accounts on wifes IPad)
* there's some pretty good notes apps for android..some can set an alarm
* Backup photos and data from the home PC, and the interface between my powershot camera and the rest of the home devices.

Pretty happy, it's clearly not as flash as the IPAD...but clearly nothing like as expensive, either.

Amazon Fire 7 inch 8 gbs are cheap and reliable enough. My older one which is 17 months old though is starting to lose all of its charge in 2 1/2 hrs of use where my newer ones it takes approx. 6 hrs. On sale you can get them for $33.00 and regularly sell for $49

The cheap no name tablets are terrible.

I even bought a 89 dollar Insignia tablet from Best Buy and it was terrible.

I have only found two tablets that I find work acceptably, the Samsung, or the iPad.

We got a nice deal on a samsung tablet for my wife with the 10.1 inch screen, it was $179 on sale.

Highly recommend the galaxy note tablets.

I have a 4-5 year old iPad that works very acceptably as well.

I have a cheap amazon fire tablet, and was not impressed with the speed of it, but that is what you get for 49 dollars.

I thank you for the suggestions. I think I will probably want a 10 inch screen and will take a look a Samsung and some others. Ipads are over the top considering my needs. Ed

Pay attention to the CPU cores as well. I bought the insignia tablet with a 10 inch screen because it had a quad core intel processor. It was still dog slow.

The samsung we ended up buying was octocore (8), and it is a thousand times better. It is on par with like an ipad air, or air2.

Bestbuy was nice and gave me my money back on the insignia no questions, and I bought the samsung there on sale.

If you have very deep pockets, we just got some iPad Pros in to work for some of our field meter readers, etc.

The iPad pro is very obviously much faster than the ipad air2. I think they are several hundred dollars though!

I would not recommend anything in the Amazon ecosystem if you'd like broad cross-functionality. The cover charge is cheap, but that's because the advertising and intense focus on Amazon-facing applications is the subsidy. With some effort, you can force Google Play on an Amazon tablet, but with apparently varying degrees of success. You can also side-load apps, but you don't get the benefit of app updates that way (because they're not connected to Google Play). We have two Amazon tablets at the house, and I would not buy another one.

You can't even use the YouTube app. Amazon doesn't have it in their app store. What they have allowed is an "app" that is basically a link to a mobile-optimized version of the YouTube website.

I'd focus your search on one of the "mainline" brands (Samsung, LG, Motorola/Lenovo, etc). It'll have decent hardware and will be fully compatible with anything created for Android.

Lots of good information - thank you. I now am focusing my research considering a 2-in-1 laptop like a DELL Inspiron with 4g memory and a 500 Gb HD. They have a cheaper version but, it has a flash 32Gb HD. Ed

Depending on how much you want to spend - originally the word inexpensive was used I would look at the Samsung 2 in 1. My son bought one and it's a very nice machine. I have a Google Nexus 7" tablet and it is getting slow since it only has 1 GB memory for it's system. I personally would get a Amazon Fire 8" as it is around $100 or less and as long as you don't mind the Amazon Ecosystem it should serve a simple purpose. I recently got a Samsung S7 and it rocks, if their tablets are anything like the phone - they may be worth the investment.

I certainly like the functionality of a fully operating computer vs a limited tablet but for surfing the web or little stuff a tablet is more than capable IMO.

Amazon's tablet software / OS, especially the cheap ones, are not well built. They load it up with too many bloatware and make it almost unusable.

I'd pay a bit extra to get a used iPad or Samsung tablet, or any generic Android tablet, and call it a day.

RCA 10" Viking Pro is $78 AT WAL MART. Comes with a keyboard and works well. Check out all of the reviews then buy one.

We have 3 in the family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back