Industry is slowly dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you see 60 minutes last night? It is corporations responsibility to create jobs for people, regardless of whether the corporations have profitable work for them to do.

Actually, our 60 minutes last night had
* plight of the Asian Sea Gypsies,
* Hellfried Sartori, aka Dr of Death, and
* Texaco's Amazon oil refuse debacle, and that they'll fight until [censored] freezes over and then fight on the ice to avoid cleaning it up.

Here's a good one. Greyhound dog racing is on its way out for ever. Met a computer guru that worked for a company that handled the computers in the back ground on dog and horse tracks. He was 3 years before retirement. He said 'young' people rather punch buttons when they gamble. Said dog racing was dieing on the vine. Tracks were looking into electronic gambling.Horse racing is way down but will never die total.

Last edited:
Well Pablo, we had one "free trade agreement" with one of our major allies that expressly refused steel and other refined products, but would only allow ore, for processing in their country...that was part of the slide.

Now we just mine the place and sell it overseas.

And the lattermost of those places won't allow steam mains manufactured in their country to be used in their country.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Here's a good one. Greyhound dog racing is on its way out for ever. Met a computer guru that worked for a company that handled the computers in the back ground on dog and horse tracks. He was 3 years before retirement. He said 'young' people rather punch buttons when they gamble. Said dog racing was dieing on the vine. Tracks were looking into electronic gambling.Horse racing is way down but will never die total.

When my Dad was a bookie 40 years ago, when he raced Greyhounds when I was a kid, and even recently when he comes up here and we go to the dogs, it's cards, written by the bookies in crayon with the bet and the odds...the electronic bit is the bit that was sold off and privatised decades ago.

They have to compete with poker machines and buy now scratch now instant gratification.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Well Pablo, we had one "free trade agreement" with one of our major allies that expressly refused steel and other refined products........

And how did that make you feel?

Really flash actually, when we were being told that being bent over the barrel was good for us !!!

pushing ones and zeros through cyber space is the new manufacturing and industry. The rest of us just muddle along trying to keep the infrastructure going.

Originally Posted By: andyd
pushing ones and zeros through cyber space is the new manufacturing and industry. The rest of us just muddle along trying to keep the infrastructure going.

Not much pushing of ones and zeros can occur when the trunk lines get taken down due to lack of care. And for those folks who just think they'll do fine without a physical connection, guess what, all those cell towers need a physical backhaul to transmit all that data.

Maybe I should get my ham radio license the way things are going.

My son and i got our ham radio licenses recently- cool hobby and if things go dark the only people communicating will be the hams. Easier to get a licence nowadays- no morse code requirement.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Steel from China is cheap and its better for a country to import it and not have to deal with any pollution.

Might as well outsource the insurance companies too huh? probably get that cheaper from China.
grin.gif

Quote:

The restructuring to focus on domestic steelmaking operations was driven by the punishing impact of the booming Australian dollar, which last month hit its highest point in nearly three decades at $1.10, together with high raw material costs and soft steel prices, BlueScope said.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7da0dbfe-cc9e-11e0-b923-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1aVYY2Qw7

Not to worry though:
Quote:

Recognising that the industry was struggling, the Australian government on Monday said it would channel A$100m from its steel transformation plan – part of a range of industry assistance measures linked to the planned introduction of a carbon tax next year – to BlueScope to help the group and its sacked workers.

Your government will soon be coming in and subsidizing this industry so I'm sure all will be back to normal in no time.....

Tempest, if only your reading and comprehension skills were matched by your ability to work with straw.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Tempest, if only your reading and comprehension skills were matched by your ability to work with straw.

Say what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back