Indoor TV antennas.

Do those things really work? Anyone here use one and can recommend one? We have Directv and only use it for background noise. Going to cut it off.

I tried one that said it would pick up 70 mile range... no luck getting metv I’m in Dutchess county. Jersey is within 70miles radius.

Put one up in the attic and reuse the coax that you had for satellite. Great range and not visible.

I made an antenna that I have outside. It picks up channels from 60 miles away. It's on the ground. I'm going to make another one with better materials to go above my roofline. I used the dimensions below.
I was able to get several channels on a part time basis along with two closer channels all the time with one of those flat antennas that you put in a window.
When I lived in a major city with a lot of stations, I got everything with just a piece of coaxial cable. So as they say, YMMV.
Screenshot_20200801-173149_Gallery.jpg

I have a new, big roof antenna, tripod, etc., for my house. It won’t go up until Spring, but I plan to hook it into an electronic distribution system like HomeRun, if I can find it. Or something similar.

Out here in the country, a roof antenna is a good start, and many have a small tower. It will get about 20 channels even out here.

When I lived in Rogers MN, all I had to do was put up a cheap $10 wall antenna on each TV and I got a TON of channels, crystal clear. The Shoreview antenna farm was not all that far away signal wise. 😁

You can use the coaxial cable provided by Direct TV and run it from a roof top antenna. You can use the Direct TV pole even. I used the DISH TV pole-It's below the roofline and I still get over 30 stations. It does have an amplifier and powers three TVs and a Tablo (DVR).
Antenna.jpg

I have an org. mohu and it works pretty good.

I had one of those cheapo rotating ones mounted upstairs on railing.. it worked pretty good.

I then moved it outside.. not better... put up a 200$ antenna outside.. still not better.

mohu works if you aim it right.

the more expensive solutions you dont need to turn unless you have stations on both sides of you.. most of mine are in 1 direction.

Do those things really work? Anyone here use one and can recommend one? We have Directv and only use it for background noise. Going to cut it off.
I would think that living in Dallas almost any indoor antenna would work just fine.
I live in the west Denver metro area and the main transmitters are up on a small mountain 3.5 miles due west.
Reception is great.

Basically any old UHF antenna will work. There really isn't any such thing as a "digital tv" antenna.

Reactions: Y_K
Just trying to help and not really answering your post. Do you have the ability or desire to install one in your attic?
To me, that is the long term permanent solution but not everyone cares too or right for them. We cut the cable 10 years ago, attic antenna feeds 5 TVs in the house with 30+ channels, all major network are better picture then on pay TV we then decide which streaming services we pay for using 5 Roku players, we love being in control. Not "them" in control of us.
Here are photos of our $99 RCA attic antenna, our main TV is hooked up to a DVR with TV schedule, works exactly the same as a pay tv box, I also installed a Channel Master antenna around the same cost in my sons home, he gets about 55 channels, lives about 60 miles from me and picks up two major areas, for him we use a TIVO OTA box, works exactly like a pay tv box.

(CKN also posted another solid long term solution if you can go outside)

Attachments

• C4DE23B9-F734-49AE-BD4C-193BC94D024C_1_105_c.jpeg
    C4DE23B9-F734-49AE-BD4C-193BC94D024C_1_105_c.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 84DAE11B-FCCC-4B40-8E02-5DC87EF5749A_1_105_c.jpeg
    84DAE11B-FCCC-4B40-8E02-5DC87EF5749A_1_105_c.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 7179D672-F749-4AB8-BA3B-5E153E594633_1_105_c.jpeg
    7179D672-F749-4AB8-BA3B-5E153E594633_1_105_c.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 17
Alarmguy, how far are you from the tv stations that you get good reception from?
My antenna is on the roof. I don't connect it because lightning strikes it and ruins my tv.

Alarmguy, how far are you from the tv stations that you get good reception from?
My antenna is on the roof. I don't connect it because lightning strikes it and ruins my tv.
30 miles from all towers, all major networks too. Yes, good point, nice about the attic is that it is out of the weather and elements.
Pretty much get the largest you can install in your attic. Mine is called a 65 mile. More or less, no reason if you can fit it, not to get a 100 mile and 60 mile at the least or double the size for the needed range.. also search Dennys TV antenna service ... good stuff

https://antennaweb.org

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

You can use the coaxial cable provided by Direct TV and run it from a roof top antenna. You can use the Direct TV pole even. I used the DISH TV pole-It's below the roofline and I still get over 30 stations. It does have an amplifier and powers three TVs and a Tablo (DVR).
This is the best advice, unless the dish is mounted on a ground-level post. Otherwise, it would be much better to mount the antenna on the roof (first choice) or in the attic (second choice). BTW, you will be glad that you went with a roof mount antenna when ATSC 3.0 comes out.
An indoor antenna will work if you are close to the transmission towers, but you will get multipath signal interference just walking around in the room, which results in picture pixelation and/or complete loss of signal.
Make sure that you get a UHF/VHF antenna. WFAA Channel 8 (ABC +3 sub channels) is still transmitting on VHF.

Last edited:
1609515971166.png
I have used 4 other antennas before this one and they were only soso . This one works great. They sell at walmart for $69. My TV has a setting that lets you see a percent notice of your antenna pickup by channel . I get 100 percent notice on every over the air channel. You can also find another version of these that look like a double make . You can mount this inside or outside . I put this on a porch column and it is only about 8 feet off the ground. I am totally happy with it and it receives great reviews , this an the double version.

Just trying to help and not really answering your post. Do you have the ability or desire to install one in your attic?
To me, that is the long term permanent solution but not everyone cares too or right for them. We cut the cable 10 years ago, attic antenna feeds 5 TVs in the house with 30+ channels, all major network are better picture then on pay TV we then decide which streaming services we pay for using 5 Roku players, we love being in control. Not "them" in control of us.
Here are photos of our $99 RCA attic antenna, our main TV is hooked up to a DVR with TV schedule, works exactly the same as a pay tv box, I also installed a Channel Master antenna around the same cost in my sons home, he gets about 55 channels, lives about 60 miles from me and picks up two major areas, for him we use a TIVO OTA box, works exactly like a pay tv box.

(CKN also posted another solid long term solution if you can go outside)
I never had very good luck with attic installations if the home has aluminum siding.

Back