Indoor Tick Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the weekend I discovered that a tick bit me . I don't know where it initially got on me but want to eliminate any possible ticks indoors in carpet, etc. .

Can anyone recommend a good product to use in all areas of the house ?

Tick bites are like having unprotected sex with a stranger. I'm guessing you know what a tick bite can lead to? I would see a DR asap!

I put the tick in a zip lock bag and gave it to the doctor . Now I have to take antibiotics for a few weeks along with a topical gel for the bite area that is circular and red similar to the bullseye rash associated with tick bites and Lyme Disease .

I have Lyme disease and a very familiar with this! You need to take antibiotics, generally doxycycline, for at least 3 weeks if not longer, 12 weeks. But since you discovered the tick, 3 weeks may work but longer is safer to kill the 4 week immature egg laying hatching cycle.

They're awful this year. Most years I pick at most one off me. This year I seem to be finding one a week. And that's not from hiking or anything.

About three yrs ago I developed the classic "bulls eye" or target mark on my inner thigh. This was on a Saturday so the wife ran me into the ER since we knew exactly what that mark meant because we live and play in tick country. Our dogs get loaded with them despite collars and bathes.

Luckily the attending ER physician saw this as a tick bite and possible early infection. I was doxycycline I think for around six weeks after the ER trip. Never a problem but fortunately we had caught it quick.

Ortho Home Defense is supposedly good for interior and exterior use as far as I know. Check the label for confirmation and instructions. I would do a perimeter spray outside as well as inside.

In years past when we lived in a rural setting, doing the perimeter spray outside was enough to control the fleas and ticks. I would suggest that first if you are nervous about any inside treatment.

Another solution would be a fogger but that is extreme plus all the precautions and planning are time consuming let alone staying out of the house for the prescribed time frame.

Consider flea and tick collars on your shoes as a preventive measure

Just remember to wash your hands after touching

I have them on my work boots, for different reasons...
mad.gif

We had a really bad brown tick season in 2015, and I found Ortho Home Defense to be very effective on carpets, upholstery and bedding. But several applications are required to break the tick's breeding cycle.

I use Bravecto ($$$$) on my English Springer Spanial, and she gets no fleas or ticks now.

I blouse my pants into my sox and spray my boots with insect killer with to work outside. Before that, I got 2 bites so far this yr., No bullseye. I have my blood tested every year. Deer ticks are terrible. The larger dog ticks, I can usually feel them stomping around before they latch on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back