increasing power of snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a yardman snowblower with the 5.5 Tech engine. Two years old, hardly used. Two in the family, both seem way underpowered for a 5.5 engine. Does a governor exist that I can easily get to so I can get some more power to actually move some snow? ANy other way to increase output?
thanks

buy a bigger hp. thrower from the start,i have known people who bought those 5 hp snow throwers and they suck.

Best to talk to a small engine mechanic that's been in business for a while.
Some of those small lower HP engines differ by just a carberator or governor (maybe both) between horse power ratings.
Change carb and adjust governor and you've got 6.5 HP.
He'll know.

Cold air intake?
LOL.gif

How is it underpowered? Does it struggle, bog and almost stall when trying to throw snow? Or does it run fine and not throw the snow very far?

If the latter, it will likely be an impeller clearance issue not an engine issue.

5hp can throw snow plenty far is a 20"-24" wide machine.

I have a 24" wide 5 HP (4 stoke Tecumseh) Craftsman that throws the snow just fine. Now it is a 2 stage (auger & impeller). If the snow is very deep I'll use 1 st gear and go slow but it does throw it with it ease.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
How is it underpowered? Does it struggle, bog and almost stall when trying to throw snow? Or does it run fine and not throw the snow very far?

If the latter, it will likely be an impeller clearance issue not an engine issue.

thanks to all. i didnt buy it, was a gift......I would have gotten a bigger displacement.
Runs fine, just doesnt throw it far in my opinion. It is a two stage, and I will check the clearances.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
A little Nitromethane will do wonders........

im sure.........but i dont want to kill the engine.

Originally Posted By: njcruiser
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

thanks to all. i didnt buy it, was a gift......I would have gotten a bigger displacement.
Runs fine, just doesnt throw it far in my opinion. It is a two stage, and I will check the clearances.

If that's the case then an impeller refit kit will probably do it wonders.

On dedicated power equipment forums the "Clarence Impeller Kit" is heavily discussed as a miracle worker for increasing the throwing distance of any two-stage that doesn't have tight impeller tolerances (which is pretty much everything except Honda).

Take a look HERE. I've just installed one on my 1986 Toro 824 which habitually plugged up on slush. I've only used it once since installation on moderate to heavy wet snow and while I need to see more it was able to now throw this heavy stuff 40' or so and, for the first time, I started to hear some serious engine loading.

There are testimonials from 5hp owners out-throwing stock 13hp machines after this kit is installed.

Give it a look - it's cheaper than new machines.

Craig.

Last edited:
I'm with Craig on that one. My generic 5hp MTD has served me well over the years. This is in the south of Buffalo NY snows.
the only problem was at the end of the driveway slush.
I have reciently installed the impell kit on an old 77 Ariens 8hp. With a recient very wet snow the old gal threw snow and slush very well.

Originally Posted By: Master ACiD
4 pieces of old car tyre sidewall, some 75 cent strapping, and a handful of 4-40 nuts and bolts. all for $30.

Not a bad idea! I'm actually surprised at how well rubber+steel auger blowers work. Slightly different application, but I recently inherited a Toro CCR2000 single stager with a 5hp Suzuki 2-cycle. I can't believe how well that little sucker works. It literally wants to pull right out of your grip when it's biting through the snow. The only con's against it is, it's small. Have to make twice the passes needed with my bigger 2 stage machine and even though it appears to burn clean, you WREAK like gas fumes after using it.

Yep, but if you can't or won't fabricate it yourself that's the market price.

It can also be thought of as $30 to quadruple the throw distance of your blower. Or $30 to save you from buying a new one because you're unhappy with your current one.

Last edited:
Seeing the title, I was going to post something here about using the lightest-weight lubricants in each application on the machine to minimize drag on the engine you already have ... but that baffle kit sounds great.

I always wondered why the Ariens I used to use threw powder really, really well but was befuddled by slush.

I bought some rubber belting, screws and nuts, and I have some strapping. On my Cub Cadet the leading edge of the impeller has a curve to it. My question is, does the rubber get applied to just the straight part or the entire depth of the blade including the curved part of impeller?

I've used the same 5 HP Ariens for 30 years and moved TONS of snow and we get plenty here on my double wide 120 foot long driveway, sometimes of the heavy wet kind and mine doesn't even clog. The most critical dimension in these machines is where the impeller rotates inside the housing. If you are within 1/8 of an inch, then the kit won't help, if not then this solution might work. Remove sparkplug wire before taking this measurement as even a slight manual rotation could start engine!!

TedT:

Usually just the straight section.

H2GURU:

The kit can help even for 1/8", but with diminishing returns.

My original point was that if the thrower in question doesn't throw snow very far and the engine's just noodling along at max governed speed then your problem isn't in the engine. If your belts aren't slipping then the impeller is the only remaining place to look.

The clearances on my 1986 Toro 824 were huge. My dad bought it new in 1986 and always commented that it plugged a lot more than the 524 he had previously and it was always a problem since day 1. At the same time, the engine never really seemed to bog much at all. From the factory the machine had a 1/2" impeller gap! I've only use the blower once since installing the kit so I haven't been able to judge properly what it's done for me. I can say that I got good engine loading blowing EOD, no clogs, and probably 40' throw of heavy wet snow.

I live in a suburban environment and don't have a tool shed full of old tires and other stuff, so I elected to purchase the kit. Considering the thrower was free and I've spent around $100 to restore it (carb kit, muffler, paint, fuel line, impeller kit, lots of elbow grease) I'm happy enough.

Thanks to all. I played with the snowblower, and it helped a lot. Seems the set screw for the engine run speed lever was backed way out. I adjusted it, and it runs at a much higher rpm now. Tested it with some wet snow, slush, ice, and it worked better then ever. NO clogs, and it threw the snow [censored] far. NIce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back