Increasing Head Gasket Longevity

Are head gaskets a real common thing ?

I just had to do a head gasket on one of my vehicles but that was because the head corroded and started to leak oil.
I've owned a lot of high-miler cars but the only car that has needed a head gasket so far was a 100k miles Thunderbird with a 3.8 Essex (known for HG failures). On the plus side, it was an easy job to replace.

The lamination coating on the earlier Subarus failed. Per Mr. Subaru.
EJs were the most prone to this. It has been said that at some point they fixed the issue. Also the Turbo models (EJ255, EJ257) came with MLS gaskets from the factory and were supposed to not have this issue. https://www.flatironstuning.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-an-ej255-and-an-ej257#:~:text=In the US, the only,series engines are designated EJ255.

Also the EZ engine family (Subaru 6) also had no head gasket issues. EG family (earlier Subaru 6, used in SVX. EG33) AFAIK had no HG issues, either.

EJ22 may or may not have had the HG issue. Some say they did and some say they did not.

As mentioned.. electrolysis is the major enemy of them from the 80s on up to the mid 2010s or so when they are supposed to have fixed the composition of the HG material on an EJ.

It is said that if you do the job 100% right on an EJ with the MLS gaskets and new bolts and all appropriate prep you'll never have to do that job again.

Avoid the second gen LLY Duramax and promote better quality gaskets and head hold down technology (I know I repeated myself)

You could buy an EV if you’re worried about head gasket failure. And if you’re worried about battery failure buy an ICE car. And if you are worried about neither, buy a hybrid. Except, as mentioned, certain years of Prius.

You could buy an EV if you’re worried about head gasket failure. And if you’re worried about battery failure buy an ICE car. And if you are worried about neither, buy a hybrid. Except, as mentioned, certain years of Prius.
I wouldn’t hesitate buying a gen 3-4 Prius as long as the repairs were done right. I think the OE gasket has been updated but Fel-Pro did make an improved one(as they usually do for problem child engines). I did see a YouTube vid of the “Gasket Masters” butcher the job - but cab companies aren’t exactly using best practices, Uber drivers will take on more debt for a new car if that happened.

GM put the Bars Leaks tablets (consisting of ground up ginger root) into the cooling system from the factory for many years. Shop manuals from the 80s and maybe the 90s direct you to add "seal tabs" (Bars Leaks tablets sold under the AC Delco name) to the cooling system when changing the coolant.

61XW0TBsLiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Yep, Ford also called for them. I added a few when I worked on a L31 Vortec with spotty service history. They’re the only “stop leak” I’ll touch.

Make sure water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses are in working order. Buy a car with no head gasket problem.

Last edited:
APR Head Bolts and Head Studs.
This is the very first thing I’d do. The ARP stud design not only provides more clamping force, it also involves adequate stud stretch, which results in constant clamping force over a wide range of temp and pressure conditions.

Back