Increased oil capacity for short trippers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What detriment does another qt for short trippers(less than 20 minutes) have on oil and water burnoff in the engine?

Referring to adding a bypass or remote oil filter.

Well, the bypass will probably help more then hurt since you're going to see more contamination due to more cold start events.

In general, when you add capacity, your warmup time is lengthened. In bypass filtration, however, the oil is somewhat sequestered during the warmup period ..not flowing much.

A remote, by itself, doesn't add too much capacity. A dual remote and a substantial line length will add some, but it also depends on how you measure your oil. The lines, if plumbed above the stock filter location, will drain back. So if you're measuring "FULL" after an extended shut down, and don't have any check valves in place, then you're probably at very little above stock capacity.

More oil will mean that it will take slightly longer for the oil to reach toasty temps, but at the same time, you have more oil to absorb the nasty acids that come from short trips. I think you will come out slightly ahead.

I haven't changed the oil since I got it. I am still trying to decide if I have a way of getting a 5 lb MG-30 and a probably 3 lb sandwich adapter back home, and where to mount it. If I put it on, I will probably do only one other OC while I am here. I will see what happens this weekend when I change the oil, and see what it looks like after a supposed 6000 km. If I do go BPF it will have the MG and a much bigger AA3600, so there will be quite a bit more oil in the sump, although I may just run it with a mix of 10-30 and 5-30 a qt low instead of buying a gallon of 10-30. I will see what I can buy at Joyful Honda this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back