Increase viscosity?

How much $$$ did you spend on UOAs for an economy car like a Sentra? I'd keep using what your'e using and save the UOA cost. For the UOA cost you could have had the dealer do the changes.
I knew the cost added to my oil change when I sent off for UOA. I felt that it was worth the piece of mind if I ever had a warranty issue and the dealer was blaming my maintenance. I could walk in and show my oil reports and have them explain where I went wrong.

I won’t be sending her cars oil out for analysis anymore since it’s out of warranty and she wants to get a new vehicle after this one is paid off.

I didn’t want the dealer to do the job because I don’t trust people. People don’t do quality work when it’s not their own vehicle. And plus, dealers don’t use a specific oil brand and I wanted to stick with Mobil 1.

I’ll probably just bump her oil up to 5w30 the next time I do a oil change. Our temperature don’t get too low here in southern AZ. Probably gets to low 30’s.

Only that they are incapable of determining whether a viscosity deviation is due to fuel dilution or mechanical shear. Considering it is a Honda I’ll guess the former, and if so then the brand (Supertech) won’t make any difference.
Correct. I’ve seen that mentioned numerous times on here, my next uoa with the M1 0W40 will be with oil analyzers.

The first uoa was ST 5w20 and the. I went to chevron supreme 5w30 and that report came back as a mid 20 grade. So my plan was to stick with 30 grades going forward but I’ve read a lot of good things about the M1 0w40 and how it is possibly one of their better oils and wanted to try that.

I know I do have fuel dilution going on so I’m curious as to how much so in another 3000-4000 miles I will sample with OAI and will hopefully get a better reading on it.

Only thing I’m slightly worried about is I know my motor uses a little bit of oil, maybe a quart over 5K miles and from what I’ve read if you use/burn oil then a full saps euro oil isn’t the best for the catalytic converter. So far I’m still at the full mark with the M1 with a little over 2600 miles in.

Correct. I’ve seen that mentioned numerous times on here, my next uoa with the M1 0W40 will be with oil analyzers.

The first uoa was ST 5w20 and the. I went to chevron supreme 5w30 and that report came back as a mid 20 grade. So my plan was to stick with 30 grades going forward but I’ve read a lot of good things about the M1 0w40 and how it is possibly one of their better oils and wanted to try that.

I know I do have fuel dilution going on so I’m curious as to how much so in another 3000-4000 miles I will sample with OAI and will hopefully get a better reading on it.

Only thing I’m slightly worried about is I know my motor uses a little bit of oil, maybe a quart over 5K miles and from what I’ve read if you use/burn oil then a full saps euro oil isn’t the best for the catalytic converter. So far I’m still at the full mark with the M1 with a little over 2600 miles in.
You'd have to use a LOT of oil for the full-SAPS oil to make a difference. And yes, M1 0W-40 is one of their "flagship" products and arguably one of the best readily available oils on the market.

i'm under warranty on my 2021 4Runner and am running 5W-30. previously had Mobil1 10W-30. i don't care about CAFE plus the 1GR can run on 20W-50 just fine. run the 5W-30 and sleep well at night. i will be running HPL in my next oil change. this will be my go to oils in all my vehicles. even my Classic Mini will be getting this after the Engine Cleaner 2,000 mile run.

You'd have to use a LOT of oil for the full-SAPS oil to make a difference. And yes, M1 0W-40 is one of their "flagship" products and arguably one of the best readily available oils on the market.
Good to know about the oil usage. Thank you for your insight and input. I do value your comments and opinions on here

Obviously 0W20 has worked well for the first 100K. Why try to fix something that isn’t broke. If it makes you feel better run a HM oil in the same grade.

Last edited:
Because an oil recommendation is a result of CAFE does not mean it cannot be an excellent lubricant. Yes, 5w30 would work just fine, but 0w20 will as well, and as it has for your wife and her driving style. Congrats on reaching 100k.

100k is a pretty low bar to reach though. wouldn't call it an achievement for a car, though it can be for some owners/drivers
Exactly, especially in today's vehicles. Both Hyundai and Kia have 100,000 mile powertrain warranties. So by driving that far, you've managed to make it to the end of your warranty period.

Hardly a stellar achievement. Seeing as if anything major failed within the engine in that time frame, with either of those 2 brands, it would be covered anyway.

Exactly, especially in today's vehicles. Both Hyundai and Kia have 100,000 mile powertrain warranties. So by driving that far, you've managed to make it to the end of your warranty period.

Hardly a stellar achievement. Seeing as if anything major failed within the engine in that time frame, with either of those 2 brands, it would be covered anyway.
Especially in a Sentra that is likely driven gently. This isn't a high-powered sports car being ragged on.

Back