Increase in viscosity with OCI - oxidation?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
It appears from my data/trend line that I *may* see an increase in viscosity as my OCI increases past ~7K as the trend line appears to starts bending back upwards. I take from reading up on this that this is likely due to oxidation. Thoughts? You always need more data and I know this is a limited dataset.

Capture.PNG

Yes, over time the thickening is due to oxidation of the oil. Many non shear stable oils (ex 5w30's) will drop, then thicken only to end up slightly above where they started.

That's the normal process of oxidative thickening. I wouldn't worry too much about what you're seeing there. As buster mentioned, oils that are less shear stable, typically from higher amounts of viscosity modifiers, will lose viscosity at first before oxidation begins to thicken it again.

I've also wanted to investigate if the evaporation of lighter components of the oil, those with lower viscosity and lower SpG, could be another reason viscosity increases with use. I feel this effect would be minimal in a normal, healthy engine that doesn't consume oil, but possibly a thought.

My recent results with viscosity increasing from 12.2 to 13.9 seem to confirm the increase with time. See my 12k, two year run here:

Thank you for the responses, good info!

Back