Increase in start-up RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 04 Camry V6 start-up RPM has jumped from about 1400 to 1900. Have cleaned MAP. TB air control valve is clean with no residue build up. Removed battery ground cable for an hour but problem persists. Vehicle has an electronic throttle control with no throttle cable and no idle air control valve. Throttle pedal was replaced last fall, but the problem didn't start until mid June. Any suggestions?

check for cracked/leaking vacuum hose(s); also the EGR valve.
Either could be letting extra air into intake, and computer compensates (to avoid too-lean) with more fuel.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
My 04 Camry V6 start-up RPM has jumped from about 1400 to 1900. Have cleaned MAP. TB air control valve is clean with no residue build up. Removed battery ground cable for an hour but problem persists. Vehicle has an electronic throttle control with no throttle cable and no idle air control valve. Throttle pedal was replaced last fall, but the problem didn't start until mid June. Any suggestions?

Did you rotate the butterfly valve to take a look at the inside face of the valve. They usually look clean when the air intake is taken off, but are very dirty on the inside. Also, make sure the edges and the throttle body where the butterfly vale touches are all cleaned up as well.

Does it go down once warmed up? My Camry when cold had an idle of 1800-1900 and so does my brothers Lexus. My dad's FJ Cruiser has a higher idle at start up too.

RPM begins to drop of immediately. Goes down to about 1400 and RPM is normal idle in less than a minute.(I would expect this in summer). Start-up RPM has been around 1500 RPM since new in May of 04. Out of nowhere, the start-up RPM jumped to 1900/2000 in mid June.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Vacuum leak.

On a cold engine only, start it up and spray starting fluid around until the rpm surges and you found your leak.

If you really use starting fluid you may find far more than just a leak!

Pretty dangerous advice, as a small spark could cause a nice little explosion.

Some carburetor cleaner would be much less explosive and still work the same...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Vacuum leak.

On a cold engine only, start it up and spray starting fluid around until the rpm surges and you found your leak.

If you really use starting fluid you may find far more than just a leak!

Pretty dangerous advice, as a small spark could cause a nice little explosion.

Some carburetor cleaner would be much less explosive and still work the same...

A bottle of water would help find ignition leaks, vacuum leaks, and electrical connectors that are integrity challenged.

....and be less explosive

Explosions are always a risk

Understood 100%

.....but of all the fluids one could spray that you can grab off the garage shelf
Water's the least likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back