Incomplete rotor sweep - cause?

D60

I should know this, but I don't.....so maybe I'll learn my one thing for the day.

These are front rotors removed a KL Cherokee with about 130k miles (although unk if OEM). This was the V6 with the "larger" dual piston calipers, if it matters.

The inner surface on both sides had an incomplete sweep, but both inner pads still had about 1.5 to 2.5mm friction material:
20240617_080115.jpg

Outer faces appear normal:
20240617_080135.jpg

The owner (a friend) did report symptoms similar to warped rotors, although I never drove it personally.

When the brackets rust, the dimensions change, and the pads bind.
Remove the brackets, and any rattle clips on them, and clean any rust from the area indicated to bare metal.
Coat the area with a brake grease, to slow future corrosion.
An ounce of prevention sort of thing.
bracket.jpg

It the pad is contacting in the center area only the center will be worn, no?
What's the profile on the rotors look like? - were they cut below the service limit?

It's possible the pads are binding as Mechanician mentioned. Although this condition does happen frequently in rust belt states with vehicles are parked outside and and not driven every day to clean up the surface rust on the rotors. After a while the rust gets abrasive enough that it wears the pads down without cleaning up the rotors and then it's down hill from there. This rust creep is possible even with a perfectly working brake system.

A clue would be how easy the pads were to remove from the holders, during disassembly. I have had many where a hammer was required to get them loose.
Remember once they do start to bind they will stick in both directions. Coming in late, and not totally backing off after the pedal is released. There's no telling what the results will look like.
It's not uncommon to see excessive force required to rotate a wheel, when off the ground. Your fuel mileage can sometimes suffer as well.

Back