Inappropriate Or Not?

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Do you think it is inappropriate to cut and paste a private message on here that was sent to you without
first asking the sender if it is okay to do so?

Last edited:
If it was a friendly post I would ask.

In the past I have gotten some from people that think differently than I do. I answer their Q and go on with my day.

I still offer them help even though we have different views.

I feel it depends on the nature and context of the message. If it's something personal and private about the sender, then keep it private. If it's an oil company telling you the ppm of molybendum in their oil, then yes, it's perfectly fine to share, unless you signed a legally binding contract to keep the contents of said conversation private and confidential.

I"ll answer it myself.
If a board member here sends you a PM about anything. I don't care if its a Xmas card or their thoughts on a post or just
a nonsense PM. I absolutely think it is inappropriate to put that PM up on this board without asking the sender.
Actually in my case I never had a thought to ever post a PM from this board up whether I asked or not. Halls post is the way I see it.

I feel it depends on the nature and context of the message. If it's something personal and private about the sender, then keep it private. If it's an oil company telling you the ppm of molybendum in their oil, then yes, it's perfectly fine to share, unless you signed a legally binding contract to keep the contents of said conversation private and confidential.

Interesting. I can see your point too. Many times I contact companies and I usually tell them that this is a private conversation
and I will not take it to forums. And when I think it may be helpful I do ask can I mention this. And I abide.
And honestly I think big companies assume what they say will be posted everywhere and that is why many are evasive.
That aside this is a bit different than me pasting your PM from here to me without asking you first. That to me is a no no.

Interesting. I can see your point too. Many times I contact companies and I usually tell them that this is a private conversation
and I will not take it to forums. And when I think it may be helpful I do ask can I mention this. And I abide.
And honestly I think big companies assume what they say will be posted everywhere and that is why many are evasive.
That aside this is a bit different than me pasting your PM from here to me without asking you first. That to be is a no no.
Absolutely! "Private messages" may or may not be "private" in content and context.

Only appropriate If its completely anonymized.

That is something that I find possible myself. No argument but if said person like characters we had before on here
used certain lingo most would know who they were right? Remember the guy here who passed away that hated louvers in filters or the guy
that liked only the thickest oils etc. or the Mobile crowd- not Mobil and so on.
Those you may not be able to make anon. Just saying.

That is something that I find possible myself. No argument but if said person like characters we had before on here
used certain lingo most would know who they were right? Remember the guy here who passed away that hated louvers in filters or the guy
that liked only the thickest oils etc. or the Mobile crowd- not Mobil and so on.
Those you may not be able to make anon. Just saying.

If this is the case then its not really anonymized.

Nor is a repost in the middle of a heated discussion thats thinly veiled.

if you cant keep seperation then just dont.

Back