In The Market For Hearing Aids

I detest carrying a cell phone, I am probably the only person on Earth that thinks that way. I do not want an app to do my life.
I felt the same way until I realized it made sense to carry one in case of an emergency (car troubles etc...) plus I was the only guy I knew that worked in IT that didn't have one. That being said I'm not that guy that has my nose buried in one all day. The other reason is we decided to drop our land line.

I don't look at it like it's running my life but more helping me make life easier.

One thing worth mentioning, make sure you get the rechargeable ones. My wife knows several people that have hearing aids that take batteries and I guess it's a pain. One guy she works with said he has to put new batteries in every couple days and the goods ones ain't cheap.
This is very true. Costco has the best prices on batteries if you do need them but the new rechargeable ni-cd is a lot less trouble. I just drop mine in the charger/storage box every night when I go to bed.

I can barely hear in one ear and the other is last check not that good and I need new hearing aids.
I am deaf in one ear and can’t hear out of the other. Seriously, I bought a pair of Oticon ones in 2008 for 7000 which lasted a week after the warranty was up. Very good for sound and differing tones. I currently have Advanced Affordable Hearing rechargeable “Here Clear” aids which are/were under 800/pair.
They work well for me. Probably no where as good as Costco. But they are well rated in reviews I have read.
I would purchase a minimum one year extended warranty beyond that provided as hearing aids don’t last more than several years typically. The extension provides a little safety net. My first pair would have been covered if l had purchased extended warranty.

Last edited:
The hearing aid industry is going through an upheaval with the new legislation on OTC hearing aid plus the growing hearables market. That includes Apple’s AirPods Pro among others.

The first step is to get an audiogram done. If you have a computer or smartphone along with headphones or earbuds I would do one that way to start. A lot of the online hearing tests are pretty good these days. Pick a quiet room and go. Back that up with a hearing test at Costco or somewhere else.

You might find out your hearing can be improved with much less money.

I have done the “Mimi” test over the iPhone. About 55% hearing loss. Had an audiologist do a legit hearing test Friday. Bass is good. Treble is bad. Can’t recognize consonants. I recognized 85% of the words in the test.

I have decided to go to a Dr Audiologist this time. Looking at Oticon More and Widex Moment Sheer. Leaning to Oticon. Pricing varies from $4500-7500 for Oticon More. Amazing variation.

It seems from my research that Oticon and Phonak are the top 2 brands recognized by Audiologists. IDK????

I am deaf in one ear and can’t hear out of the other. Seriously, I bought a pair of Oticon ones in 2008 for 7000 which lasted a week after the warranty was up. Very good for sound and differing tones. I currently have Advanced Affordable Hearing rechargeable “Here Clear” aids which are/were under 800/pair.
They work well for me. Probably no where as good as Costco. But they are well rated in reviews I have read.
I would purchase a minimum one year extended warranty beyond that provided as hearing aids don’t last more than several years typically. The extension provides a little safety net. My first pair would have been covered if l had purchased extended warranty.
The Audiologist I saw Friday said to expect 6 year lifespan out of the brand she sold. Widex.

How much was the extended warranty?

My audiologist recommends Oticon. I was tested today and my hearing has stayed relatively the same over the past few years. However, a little worse than back in 2018 so I decided to order some. Should get them in a few weeks. I thought about going to Costco but always unsure on the quality.

Yep, gonna get me some hearing aids. My family is overjoyed. And that is putting it mildly.

Looking for any advice as these things are very expensive.
I will add my vote for Costco. It's worth it even if you have to join. Their Kirkland brand units are made by the Big manufacturers but are cheaper. They adjust them, repair them and supply ear pieceds free.

One thing worth mentioning, make sure you get the rechargeable ones. My wife knows several people that have hearing aids that take batteries and I guess it's a pain. One guy she works with said he has to put new batteries in every couple days and the goods ones ain't cheap.
And they are tiny.

I know nothing about hearing aids except the FDA cleared over the counter aids
Could it hurt to try one of these for free?

Or as another mentioned

Also Sony has entered the market.

You don’t say your age but a lot of Medicare Advantage C plans also help pay

My audiologist recommends Oticon. I was tested today and my hearing has stayed relatively the same over the past few years. However, a little worse than back in 2018 so I decided to order some. Should get them in a few weeks. I thought about going to Costco but always unsure on the quality.
If it matters, my understanding is some Costco’s have Audiologists and some don’t.

With tech advances and mass manufacturing of BT buds over the past decade, there is no need for these things to cost over $2000. And that's with $1200 of that going as profit to your audiologist and their " lifetime adjustment and cleaning services"

Yes I need them (says the wife) But I am avoiding them. I like the quiet.

I use wireless headphones for the TV.

Kids mumble at the register? They don't e-nun-ci-ate :)

girlfriend don't enunciate either!! i believe my hearing because my girlfriend hears our moaning doggie + i hear nothing usually its weak but not always!! just using a small USB speaker allows hearing most you tubes that are professionally done + not from highly accented people, so surely interested BUT not buying just yet!

Back