In the market for a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd post this on BITOG to get some input from you guys. I am in the market for a new motorcycle. The one that has captured my interest is the Suzuki GSX 1250FA, a older style sport/touring bike. It isn't nearly as modern as the newest offerings from Kawasaki, Honda, or Yamaha but it isn't as pricey either.

I can get one for $10,085. They list for $11,599.
Pros are the ABS and center stand and I like the looks.

Cons are the unsophisticated suspension with not much adjustability. This is probably not even a issue but it gets mentioned quite a bit on forums.

My riding style is for longer rides in the mountains (300 miles a day), a bit of interstate, and the occasional romp in the twisties. I'm certainly no boy-racer though.

I'd love to hear opinions if anyone has any knowledge of this bike or it's predecessor the Bandit 1200/1250.

Thanks.

I like those bikes, and also the Bandit, but can't say I've owned one. When I was looking to buy a new bike back in '01, I looked at the Bandit, but couldn't pass up the ZRX1200, which I still own. Like you, these type of bikes appeal to me.

Have you ridden a GSX12500FA yet? I would be interested to hear your impressions.

Nice looking bike. . .I've owned a Suzuki and they are good, well-designed machines. I'm partial to sport-touring bikes myself and have owned a BMW RT and currently own a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14.

Personally (and I realize this is subjective), I think the Concours would be a better bike for you. Here are the advantages as I see 'em:

The Concours
...carries more fuel
...has more power (150 hp)
...shaft drive (I hate chain maintenance)
...3 year warrantee
...is priced about the same. .can be had NEW for $11,995

I've ridden my bike from PA to Maine in one day, several times with two fuel stops. That's over 600 miles, 11 hours. Compared to the BMW, the bike is the same in the comfort and handling category in my opinion. Overall, a good value IMHO.

I urge you to test-drive the Concours before you pull the trigger on anything. . .let us know what you decide on. Happy riding!
P.S.: Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-...=item3f0f2907f0

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I have not ridden the 1250 yet but I like the seating position.

It's funny that you mention the Concours, Robster. That is the exact bike the dealership suggested that I also consider. It looked a bit big to me though. I don't know what kind of price I can get one of those for and I haven't even looked. I need to visit a Kawasaki dealer and check them out. I actually prefer Kawasaki to Suzuki but heck,, I love riding anything to tell the truth.

I sat on the big Zook, and did not tlike the peg/seat relationship. I liked the bike when introduced in the magazines, but up close it really left me wanting more. I'm with Robster also, find a Concours, and live happily ever after.

I spent a few days testing a Bandit 1250S a few summers back and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Now, it is hardly state of the art tech in this day and age but it has a killer engine (tuned for the real world, with a killer low-end and mid-range), is roomy, can easily accommodate two people. It's a great all-rounder.

You may want to alos have a look at the new Ninja 1000. The bike has been getting rave reviews in the mags and would certainly be on my short list were in the market for a bike.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
If the GSX 1250FA puts a smile on your face, buy it. Budget some money to upgrade the suspension, as I've done on my V-Strom--money well spent on a bike I like a lot. I have Ricor Intiminator damping valves in the forks and an Elka shock. There are other options for the rear and RaceTech has options for the front. (Intiminators are only for damper rod forks.)

All good suggestions. . .and ultimately it'll boil down to what fits you personally. If I had the money, time and garage space I'd own one of everything--I love all bikes, but each one is a compromise. . .there is no "perfect" bike, but it IS fun searching for it!

When I went from a BMW R1150RT to a Harley Ultra Classic to a Kawasaki Concours 14 I had a friend that was questioning whether I had a bi-polar disorder or not--nah, I don't think so, I just like 'em all.

I actually love the looks and slightly old-school features of the Suzuki. I love the Ninja 1000 too, but I like the center stand and ABS as standard features on the Suzuki. I think I've made up my mind and I'm getting a bit excited. Next tuesday will be the day! :O)

throwing a leg over each bike thats fits your particuals is the way to go. in 05 the Kaw zx-10R was the fastest liter bike on the showroom, but after sitting on them all it wasnt my choice.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I actually love the looks and slightly old-school features of the Suzuki. I love the Ninja 1000 too, but I like the center stand and ABS as standard features on the Suzuki. I think I've made up my mind and I'm getting a bit excited. Next tuesday will be the day! :O)

Be sure to post some pics! I'd love to see it. . .congratulations BTW! Enjoy the "PermaSmile". . .

Rob

This is a no brainer. Concours all the way. By the time you buy luggage and a useful windshield you will be up to the Kaw price. The Kaw is also going to have better resale and is in another league altogether. Ride 'em both,it is a big decision ...better make sure!

Last edited:
Another selling point for the Suzuki is that they are offering side bags and mounting brackets for $199 through March of 2012. I intended to get them too.

You are correct that the Concours is in a completely different league.. but that sort of means that it's out of my league. It's bigger and heavier and much more expensive in comparison. I'm really looking for something to hit the north Georgia mountains on the week days and take the occasional trip up to West Virginia via the Blue Ridge Parkway once or twice a year. I'm not a hardcore coast-to-coast tourer by any stretch.

Of course there are much nicer or better adapted machines but I don't know that I really need what they offer. I don't need a ZX-14 powered sport/tourer. And for $10,000 I haven't found a better deal than the GSX 1250FA.

I don't think you can go wrong with the GSX1250FA. Looks very versatile. The hard bag promo is a smokin deal. Six speed, ABS and is a nice looking bike. Should have plenty of power and handle well. I'd like to ride one. Have fun and don't forget to post pics when you get it.

Ahh, I wasn't aware that Honda had the NT 700. I peaked at it on the net and it reminds me a lot of the old Pacific Coast product line that they had a few years back. I'll read up on this and hopefully get to a bike shop tomorrow to see if they have them on the floor.

Originally Posted By: Mike Simmons
You really oughta look at the Honda NT700. Based on your requirements, it should be ideal. I have one and love it.

Agreed. . .this bike would be on my short-list. . .never rode one, but sat on one at the dealer and it was a NICE riding position. It seemed to have a lot of features and has the looks to go with it.

Bags for only $199 really changes the equasion...Sounds like a case of Suzuki motolust to me...Go for it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FowVay
Ahh, I wasn't aware that Honda had the NT 700. I peaked at it on the net and it reminds me a lot of the old Pacific Coast product line that they had a few years back. I'll read up on this and hopefully get to a bike shop tomorrow to see if they have them on the floor.

For more info visit the NT Owners group at:

http://www.nt-owners.org/

There are lots of folks who have had the Connie and other bikes and swaer by the NT. It truly is a GREAT bike.... check it out!

Mike

Just sold my 2007 GSF1250S after 4 years and 28,000 miles, never let me down, never in the shop, check valve twice and never needed adjustment, changed oil every 2000 miles and filter every other time, always 15W-40 HDEO what ever was on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back