in-situ on board wireless realtime oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG folks would you be interested in a Dyson Analysis package of on board realtime wireless oil analysis service to determine motor oil quality/condition ?

If so what would it be worth to you ? Would you consider paying extra for this if the oil was provided FREE?

I am exploring encorporating this service as a package of cutting edge services for the customer who is tired of using oil sample kits and waiting for data to get in. Major and boutique lubricant companies and auto/truck manufactorers are interested in using this service to drive customers to their products by showing how well they perform in the real world. Not to mention warranty simplification and early detection of problems BEFORE major repairs are required.

I cannot be much more specific at this time but wanted to get some feedback to gauge interest.

The actual test protocal we could offer is under evaluation. Obviously cost is a limiting factor for the average consumer. Fleets and racing teams should have no problem cost justifying.

Terry

Who wouldn't be interested?

What would it be worth to me? Well, that's a bit more complicated.

For me, it probably wouldn't be worth much more than the cost of oil sampling since I change my own oil and I think the benefit of catching a developing problem mid-interval is normally small. That may be true for some fleets as well.

For someone who doesn't or can't change their own oil it might be worth considerably more.

I can't guess at what you are really getting at, but if this were a product that I had to buy... I would be concerned that the sensing mechanism might not hold its accuracy over the long term and I would hold off on the purchase until other users report that the reliability is good enough to justify the purchase price/installation cost.

Sorry for the non-simple answer. But I wouldn't want you to spend thousands to develop something based on a simple "yes" when the devil is in the details.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
BITOG folks would you be interested in a Dyson Analysis package of on board realtime wireless oil analysis service to determine motor oil quality/condition ?"

Yep, I'm interested.

"If so what would it be worth to you ?"

It is hard to say without knowing what is monitored and how well this would fuction. Can you say anything about what you would monitor and what it would mean to us as users?

"Would you consider paying extra for this if the oil was provided FREE?"

Hum, probably only if the oil and addatives matched my current regimen. I'm not anxious to change from what is working so well at present for an un-known.

"I am exploring encorporating this service as a package of cutting edge services for the customer who is tired of using oil sample kits and waiting for data to get in."

Sounds like a very viable tool with interesting ramifications. It also sounds like it might be very taxing to you.

"Major and boutique lubricant companies and auto/truck manufactorers are interested in using this service to drive customers to their products by showing how well they perform in the real world. Not to mention warranty simplification and early detection of problems BEFORE major repairs are required."

Sounds viable to me depending on what and how accurate the measurements could be. Oil analysis "On-Star" kind of thing it seems. Do you see this as a WiFi or some other type comm. system?

"I cannot be much more specific at this time but wanted to get some feedback to gauge interest."

Again, based on my expressed concerns I am interested.

"The actual test protocal we could offer is under evaluation."

I see this as crucial.

"Obviously cost is a limiting factor for the average consumer. Fleets and racing teams should have no problem cost justifying."

I can understand this and will be looking forward to see how this un-folds.

Terry

John

I'd love real-time analysis, if for nothing more than the geek factor. :) Free oil is nice, but is only worth about $30 for my truck and $20 for my motorcycle. I'd love to see a real-time chart of the viscosity loss in my motorcycle, for example. I'd also love to see just how long I could push an oil in a particular application--can I go two years between oil changes in my low-mileage truck? I don't see this as a tool to sell a lot more oil, as I expect that it'd let me wring every last bit of performance out of my oil. But I'd love to have that information.

I know you're probably looking for a hard dollar value. I'd be willing to pay $10-20/month/vehicle if it included the oil. I'm only paying $80/year right now for oil/filter/analysis/interpretation on my truck, and maybe $200/yr on the motorcycle.

I think any OTR owner operator would pay for the service with free oil ..all umteen gallons of it
grin.gif

Killerbees should get wind of this to add to his cooler sales. His associates put a hurtin' on oil ..and engines for that matter.

As a user of syn oils exclusively, Id estimate the value to the typical consumer to be approximately that of two 8qt oil changes...

Here's the thing... it really depends on driving profile... Right now, we drive 10k miles for example, on the MB diesel... between oil changes.

For the MB, if we got, say, free schaeffers 9000 5w-40, and the cost for the service over 20k was about the same as 16 qts of M1 T&SUV 5w-40, 2 Mann OE filters, plus 2 UOAs (and we got some indication for the records that UOA was professionally done with values to back it up)... it would at least be break-even, which would be worth it.

For my truck, which I only change once a year... Id pay about $50 over the cost of 5qts GC, a filter, and a UOA for the peace of mind - I care about the condition of the truck greatly, its just not a DD, so the miles dont rack up fast enough to change more often... thus why th epeace of mind is worth more $$$ in this application, than say the MB.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back