In Russia, the OS programs you. :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been talk for some time about Russia creating it's own operating system, and it looks like they're going to base it on Fedora, of all things. Presumably, this move is taking place to wrest control of their IT from foreign entities and to save a whole lotta green.

There have been stories for years about countries, provinces, school boards and other large gov't and NGO's switching to Linux either for desktop or server use, but not an entire nation!

There was an article yesterday on Slash Dot that was saying that the new Windows 7 base OS will only allow you to open 3 windows at once. If you want more windows you will have to buy a more costly version.

I have 2 computers in my house that run Ubuntu. (You can download it on a windows machine and burn yourself a disc to install it on other computers, or you can order a disc for free.) With the exception of games, Ubuntu is beautiful and I have never had a problem with it.

Once Windows XP is phased out, I will not be buying another windows product if I can help it.

TurboLinux is big in Japan. It's a good distro IMO.

SuSE Linux is big in Germany.

CentOS is big in my server room
grin2.gif

It probably will be good if other countries develop their own computer operating systems. What is really needed when it comes to computer operating systems is some real, honest competition.

Things have gotten kind of stale. We need fresh new ideas. Maybe every major country that is capable of doing it will develop their own computer operating systems. Let us hear from the Germans, the Chinese, the Japanese, the French, the British!

SuperDave, have you had any issues with drivers while running Ubuntu. I have an old Compaq computer that I have set up for my youngest daughter using an USB wireless adapter. She uses it only for surfing the internet. I would like to put Ubuntu on that computer but am afraid the integrated sound and video will not work.

Hope this O/S doesn't turn out like Lada!
LOL.gif

Good for them, I hope they give Microsoft a run for their money and make them clean up the messy operating systems.

Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
SuperDave, have you had any issues with drivers while running Ubuntu. I have an old Compaq computer that I have set up for my youngest daughter using an USB wireless adapter. She uses it only for surfing the internet. I would like to put Ubuntu on that computer but am afraid the integrated sound and video will not work.

Ubuntu is risk free - Just download and burn the Live CD and boot from it. It will *not* affect any installed OS on your system. It will not touch your hard drive unless and until you install it on your system. They even have a Windows based installer that uses magic and voodoo to install Ubuntu sorta kinda inside Windows. I don't understand it, haven't read much about it (Microsoft-free household over here), but am told it's cool.

I'd suggest just booting from the Live CD to test the wireless adapter first.

One of the disadvantages of Linux based systems is definitely hardware support.

Here is a list of known supported USB wireless adapters:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported#Wireless USB Adapters

By the way, the Ubuntu forums are a *tremendous* resource for folks new to Linux. http://ubuntuforums.org

drivewaytech -

Ubuntu 8.04 is a LTS (long term support) release, so many people will be sticking with it for a few years.

But I'm much happier with wifi on 8.10. Prior to 8.10, I was frequently fighting with wifi drivers on my laptop. About the time I'd get it working again, there would be an update it was broken again.

With 8.10, there is a new wifi manager (the default one, IIRC), and it all "just works". I haven't fought with the wifi at all since going to 8.10.

(I have a Toshiba Satellite A205, with atheros wifi chips)

Had big crash recently, and when Microsponge XP wanted to download all sorts of updates drivers etc, I thought I'd use the bandwidth to download 8.10.

Ran it on the CD for a few days...family adapted straight away, so it's now a dual boot machine.

I'll let Microsponge update another day.

I guess I could tackle this project as a dual boot system. I did research one of uc50ic4more's links and found support for the old Linksys USB wireless adapter. The other equation to this computer are the drivers. This is an old Pent. III Compaq register computer. My youngest daughter is a special needs child with limited capabilities. She can navigate her "kids" websites as long as I load them in her Favorites to click on. She has a problem however with turning the computer on and off so she can watch the little lights flash and listen to the sounds of the computer start up. This just kills Windows XP which has me reloading the OS once a month along with all the drivers. I am trying to find a more stable operating system but not invest any money into a system that she will destroy in short time.

Another option is edubuntu. Its ubuntu with several educational games bundled on it.

If you can do everything you need on the live cd, and don't have need for customizing it, that's the way to go. There is nothing installed on the hard drive, so nothing is modified during startup/running/shutdown. Translation: you can pull the power cord any time you'd like, it won't change anything.

I am trying to find a more stable operating system but not invest any money into a system that she will destroy in short time.

+1 on edubuntu.

NOTE: You can install the entire edubuntu "system" along with ubuntu; they're one in the same, with a slightly different look and some different default software. In fact, all of the *buntu variants are part of the same one OS. Xubuntu, Kubuntu, fluxbuntu, edubuntu, etc. can all be installed right alongside each other.

So basically, with the edubuntu disc and the BIOS set to hit the cdrom 1st on bootup, the computer should startup ubuntu every time. Very interesting. I will certainly give this a try. Thanks gentlemen.

She has a problem however with turning the computer on and off so she can watch the little lights flash and listen to the sounds of the computer start up. This just kills Windows XP which has me reloading the OS once a month along with all the drivers. I am trying to find a more stable operating system but not invest any money into a system that she will destroy in short time.

I wondering if teaching her to just put the computer to sleep may help with Windows and how your daughter turns it on and off. My Microsoft keyboard has one button to press to put it to sleep. After that hit any key and it wakes up. I work with men with special needs so I feel for you. It may just take some time until she learns a new way of doing things. Then again, I don't know her abilities. Just a thought. Oh, I am just getting into imagining software. I am making an image of the OS and drivers using MaxBlast on an old hard drive for someone who tends to mess up her computer quickly. But maybe you use something similar already?

My youngest daughter is a special needs child with limited capabilities. She can navigate her "kids" websites as long as I load them in her Favorites to click on. She has a problem however with turning the computer on and off so she can watch the little lights flash and listen to the sounds of the computer start up. This just kills Windows XP

You can go into system tools and tell the OS what the power button does. By default mine does an orderly shutdown. (If you hold it four seconds you get a disorderly shutdown.) You can have it ignore or suspend/sleep as well.

You can also unplug the power button on most ATX cases where it goes into the motherboard. IDK about keyboard power.

You should also be able to set the BIOS under "power outage" so when power comes back the compouter turns on. Use the switch on the back of the machine to turn it on, use the OS shutdown to turn it off.

I am going through all this to outwit my toddler: My case has a cool LED surrounding the power button, very enticing! Good luck.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
There was an article yesterday on Slash Dot that was saying that the new Windows 7 base OS will only allow you to open 3 windows at once. If you want more windows you will have to buy a more costly version.

There's an older, hobbled XP that does the same thing, only sold in 3rd world countries for way less than we pay. It's to fight piracy... ostensibly.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I wondering if teaching her to just put the computer to sleep may help with Windows and how your daughter turns it on and off. My Microsoft keyboard has one button to press to put it to sleep. After that hit any key and it wakes up. I work with men with special needs so I feel for you. It may just take some time until she learns a new way of doing things. Then again, I don't know her abilities. Just a thought. Oh, I am just getting into imagining software. I am making an image of the OS and drivers using MaxBlast on an old hard drive for someone who tends to mess up her computer quickly. But maybe you use something similar already?

I have taught her not to shut down the computer and not push the button on the computer. She loves to watch blinking lights and turn things on and off. She will do good for a few weeks, and then I will hear the screams of anguish because the computer will not work. She is only 8 years old and excels in some areas but is deficient in others. If the ubuntu does not work, the MaxBlast that you mentioned sounds like a viable option if this case allows a slave drive.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You can go into system tools and tell the OS what the power button does. By default mine does an orderly shutdown. (If you hold it four seconds you get a disorderly shutdown.) You can have it ignore or suspend/sleep as well.

I was not aware of this. That may be the easiest solution of all.

MONKEYMAN said:
She is only 8 years old and excels in some areas but is deficient in others.

I have dyslexia. Math, reading, and writing were very challenging to me. They still are sometimes. I have learned to think outside the box. My clients have a variety of strengths and weaknesses. To me the trick is finding what works best for each individual. I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back