In need of shocks on tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in need of shocks in the front. Rears already replaced a few years back with monroe with the coil springs attached.
What's a good brand
Gabrial, kyb, monroe, ac delco ect

Bilstein. is there an echo in here???

Monroe are universally put down for not lasting. 3-4 years and they are shot.

Gabrial etc used to be good but now .... eehh. If you don't mind redoing the shocks every 5 years or so then fine.

I have bilstein 5100 on my 07 Tacoma (put then on myself) and they have a lifetime warranty. Going on 5 years now and they are still good on the bumpy roads I regularly drive on. I even hit the bumps faster now just to test the recovery time. I took the kids on a 5 hour trip to grandmaws this past week and they are commented how smooth the truck rode on the interstate. Feels the same as mamas Sienna.
smile.gif

Not bad.

If you put monroe on the back, might as well put them on the front...

On your list: KYB

But if it was my truck: Bilstein... all round.

Last edited:
I re shocked my truck with KYB gr2's - pretty happy.

If you can find Koni FSD's they are awesome- completely transformed a motorhome.

My next set on this truck will be Bilstein 5100's because they dont make FSD's for it.

UD

There are often different quality grades within the brands. If you go on Rock Auto there will be a cheap line of shocks from the majors and a better line from them as well.
Does one really expect a $20 Monroe or a $18 Gabriel shock to be as good and last as long as their offerings that cost twice as much?
Me, I'd probably go with Sachs from RockAuto. My VW GTI which I bought new has 164K on the originals which are made by Sachs.
They are not worn out. I've had cars I had to put new ones on before 100K.

Otherwise, I'd choose Gabriel Max Control.

Put Bilstein 5100s on my 2003 Suburban last year.

Started with NAPA (monroe) 2 years ago and thought it had too much 'float' and then went with the 5100. Im going to say it rides very stiff and 'truck' like now.
No complaints.

The 5100 series was about $10 higher than the 4600 series on Ebay.. which was the cheapest i could find them.

We've been using Gabriel Ultras on all our fleet trucks, both Silverados and Savana/Express 3500 service vans, for many years now.

Excellent shocks, nice ride with superior body control. Poster above knocking Gabriel should note that like any other company they make a dog or two. But the Ultras are the bomb for trucks, with a real lifetime warranty.

Many folks think the 5100 B's are great, but on my friends truck they are very stiff, almost uncomfortable. And KYB burnt us a few years back on a set of rear shocks, that won't happen again to me...

Maybe Up-rated Factory GM. Tuned to the suspension - unless you didn't like the factory ride.

I don't know if SACHS make dampers for GM Truck. Might be worth a check-and-see.

I find the unwashed masses like saying Bilstein as It's like saying BOSE

But BOSE** is known to audiophiles a being cheaply made - though pricey- mid-fidelity junk.

** What ? !

I will conceded Bose did make a decent table radio and the now vintage 601 series II were enjoyable and played music.

on 5100's

IF you are just soccer mom'ing a tahoe driving around in place of a sedan - a 5100 vehicle will feel stiff.

If you are towing- and especially if you are using a WD hitch which loads the front much more effectively - the 5100 are great.

In states with right lane towing protocol the 5100's turn a beating into something tolerable.

UD

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
We've been using Gabriel Ultras on all our fleet trucks, both Silverados and Savana/Express 3500 service vans, for many years now.

Excellent shocks, nice ride with superior body control. Poster above knocking Gabriel should note that like any other company they make a dog or two. But the Ultras are the bomb for trucks, with a real lifetime warranty.

Many folks think the 5100 B's are great, but on my friends truck they are very stiff, almost uncomfortable. And KYB burnt us a few years back on a set of rear shocks, that won't happen again to me...

That exactly reflects my own experience of the Ultra and 5100 shocks on full sized Chevy trucks. I'm generally fond of the KYBs.

Last edited:
The rear had some kind of special shock from GM (2$$ each) that actually helped with lift because it has soft ride springs.
I had one leaking, I ordered bilstines and the rear saged low
That's when I found the monroe with the helper coil springs attached,they returned my ride height to factory.
Yes I could replace the rear coils but the monroe did the trick.

I went with these Bilstein's for my 03 Suburban back in December, thanks to the help and feedback on this forum

From Shock Warehouse
2 Bilstein 24-065009 Front 4600 Heavy Duty (B6) Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC Item: 24-065009
$71.17 $142.34
Sub Total $142.34 Tax ( 6.5000%) $9.25 Shipping (Ground) $0.00 Invoice Total $151.59

Seemed to help correct choppy inner tire wear on fronts.

I also had those leaking rear shocks, replaced them with same, I like the load leveling

I did bilsteins on a TRD tundra. They were softer than the original toyota TRD bilsteins - which makes me giggle when reading that bilsteins are firm.

The valving in the 4600 is identical to the valving in the 5100, per Bilstein's phone support. The only difference is the 5100 has the adjustable spring perch location. For the rear application where there is no spring perch, the only difference is paint.

I did enjoy Monroe Reflex, which is not available for as many models. Had those in a minivan and a jeep TC. Didn't have them for more than 3-4 years so I can't attest to their lifespan.

I took SteveSRT8's advice and put Gabriel Ultra shocks on the back of the Honda Pilot a few years ago. I'll have to look up the details, but I think it was 3 years and over 50K miles ago. They had a strong gas charge that fixed the sag in the back and they were holding it just as high when I sold it.

There are other good choices, but don't rule out Gabriel Ultra's due to Gabriel's previous reputation. In my opinion they have upped their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back