In need of filter suggestion for Ford FE motor with high zinc conventional oil.

Hello,

I've done a bit of searching but it seems like filters suggested a year ago might not be suggested today. I was looking into the wix 51515, Motorcraft FL1A and the Fram PH8A. If there is a better suggested filter to get please let me know. Oil will be Delo 15w40 with a zinc additive for the flat tappet cam. Motor is a 428 FE. Thanks.

Any should be fine. And I would run Castrol GTX Classic oil instead of playing chemist.
If I ever pull apart one of my classic engines again I will stab a roller and be done with it.

Nothing wrong with any of those filters but my preference is the wix.
For oil my preference is Rotella T5 15w40. Idk about dello but the t5 has really good zinc ppm.

I would seek out a wire backed fram ultra or titanium, you may still be able to find them.

(TIE) Next choice - Amsoil EAO15
(TIE) Next choice - Royal Purple 30-8A

Failing that - Fram TG8A
Failing that - FL1A

Delo is fine.

Cheap insurance though right? Zinc additive won't hurt anything? I'd rather spend a few bucks than wipe a cam.

No telling in a 428, could be anything from a mild passenger car or industrial cam to a huge cam of most any vintage.... even a SFT...

FE's have some oiling issues too - need more info but i certainly would not assume a 428 had made it all these years without the valve train being messed with.

Which Part number? Hydraulic Flat Tappet I presume, do you have EDM lifters, recommended springs? Oil restriclted to the rocker shafts, Standard volume or Hi Volume Oil Pump?

Also - Crower recommends ZDDP+ with all flat tappets ...

I stand by my recommendation. The Castrol stuff was designed for flat tappet engines with higher pressure valve springs. And you can get it at Wally World. I ran Rotella T for years. But there are better choices today.

Just to give y'all an idea, Crower list 2 kits for FE flat tappet hydraulic cams. one the springs are 342 LBS in the other is 425 LBS in.

Those a pretty stout springs (Particularly the 425LBS/IN set.)

There have been some recent failures for those that follow FE Power so i would strongly recommend following Crowers recommendation that goes double if its a recent build and double again if they are not some form of "Cam Saver" lifters (have a hole EDM'ed in the tappet face for oiling.)

There's no down side other than a some what trivial cost to following their recommendation. There significant down sides to wiping a cam.

Also, FE roller blanks are in short supply...

Last edited:

Wix
Purolator PBL30001 https://www.nothinggetsbyus.com/part-finder/api?query=parts-image%2Fen%2FPBL30001

Last edited:
Back