In need of filter suggestion for Ford FE motor with high zinc conventional oil.

Thanks for all the replies. This is an old crower cam. At least 15 years old. It was purchased as a disassembled, ready to assemble block with heads, intake manifold, cam, pistons, cranks, rods etc. Was ready to build 15 years ago then stored until I bought it. I remember the cam part number listed it as a stage 3 crower cam. Break in went smooth and now I'm at 500 miles ready to change the oil again. I've gone easy on the motor can't wait to really open her up.

A good filter is the Mobil 1 M-1 301. I don’t know how it ranks with others, just anecdotally, they have worked well for me on the vintage Fords and Shelby’s.

Z

I'd be careful with the M1, last supplier change was to M+H and they were not very impressive particularly for the price.

Well if you've made it through break in and 500 miles id be cautiously optimistic, i would however continue to stack the cards in my favor and use the additive or a specialty oil for flat tappets for a good while...

I wouldn't mind some more details... what's it in too...

Ford 428, 30 over. Stage 3 crower cam, edelbrock F427 intake, port matched heads, forged pistons, billet flywheel, McLeod clutch, holley 750, pertronix distributor with msd ignition, headers to dual flowmaster delta 40s. Np435 tranny and divorced Np205.

1975 dentside. Swapped a 1977 front axle. Better steering radius and disc brakes. Converted the rear Dana 60 to disc brakes as well with a hydroboost and willwood master.

I love them FE motors! They could be docile for a station wagon grocery getter or crazy like a Holman Moody NASCAR engine. They have a top billing in American automotive history in my opinion.

BTW - I believe the Crower performance level 3 cam that was popular with the FE crowd back then was the Power Beast, the grind number is 292H and the part number is 16903. it has long advertised but very mild .050 it should be easy on valve train, or as easy as an FE can be. There are other performance level 3 cams for an FE though.

There are 2 Compu-Pro Level 3 cans for the FE the 280HDP (16240) was also popular, its a somewhat more aggressive lobe profile.

I'm a big fan of Crower, but not a big fan of the "performance level" its sort of akin to the old "3/4 race" and "full race" terminology. Notice i never heard any one say they had a "1/4 race" LOL.

I'd be careful with the M1, last supplier change was to M+H and they were not very impressive particularly for the price.

Well if you've made it through break in and 500 miles id be cautiously optimistic, i would however continue to stack the cards in my favor and use the additive or a specialty oil for flat tappets for a good while...

I wouldn't mind some more details... what's it in too...

So far so good.

Vintage Mustang, Galaxies, and Shelby’s were my daily drivers from late 1970’s thru to 2017. With the last 25 years solely relying on the Mobil 1 products. Primarily their 15w-50 and lately the 0w-40. And the M-1 filters when they became available

Altogether , several hundreds of thousands of miles driven and with numerous coast to coast trips. Never a single oil or oil filter related issue. What has surprised me a little is the lack of measurable bearing wear.

My back has not been as durable as the old iron, so since 2017 I’ve had to transition to something but more modern, a 2002 Jaguar XKR. At least more modern by my standards.

Still using the M-1 0w-40, a viscosity recommended by Jaguar for the climate I drive in. Also using the Mann or Mahle filters.

Z

Last edited:
Back