In Line Transmission filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 1997 ford expedition wwith a 5.4 in it. i was wondering if running an inline filter would benefit me in any way. the truck is a daily driver and its what we tow the boats with ( just in town )

im not familiar with them in any way. i know some people use the type that look like little fuel filters and some use hydralic filters.

any pointers is appreciated

A Magnefine filter would be just fine.However,I installed one when installing a rebuilt transaxle,and 2 years later changed the filter out with a new one,and there wasn't one spec of dirt or metal inside it when cutting it apart.So,it didn't have to catch anything (but was there in case it needed to).

The Magnefine (inline) is about 30 microns and is what many people install (I have one in each of my 2 vehicles). It will go many miles (20K to 30K) before its wise to change it. It has a magnet that the fluid has to flow past. When I pull a used one apart, the magnet is always coated with a metallic paste. The cost is less than $20 and install time is 15 minutes.

The spin on element one filters to a lower micron rating (15 microns maybe) cost about $50-$60 for the base, hose and fittings and takes longer to install. The element is probably 1/2 of what a Magnefine costs.

For me, the ease of install and magnet tips the scale towards the Magnefine.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
A Magnefine filter would be just fine.However,I installed one when installing a rebuilt transaxle,and 2 years later changed the filter out with a new one,and there wasn't one spec of dirt or metal inside it when cutting it apart.So,it didn't have to catch anything (but was there in case it needed to).

How about the magnet on the Magnefine. It was clean also?

i would Not install any other filters on any transmission my belief is that slightly dirty oil flowing will be ok, if the filter blocks up while driving your transmission burns the clutches within a minute or two.
Same with oil filters its always better to have flow, dirty oil is better than no oil every time.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i would Not install any other filters on any transmission my belief is that slightly dirty oil flowing will be ok, if the filter blocks up while driving your transmission burns the clutches within a minute or two.
Same with oil filters its always better to have flow, dirty oil is better than no oil every time.

I lean in the same direction. My thinking is, the transmission already has a filter which does a pretty good job at filtering. Why should I filter filtered transmission fluid, (not to mention the potential for leaks where I would have to cut the line to install a filter).

Besides, being a Bitoger, my life revolves around fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
so are the megnefine filters a one time use filter?

Yes. Take the old one off and slap on a new one. Once you have the hose cut and in position, it doesn't take long to swap them out.

I've had three already and the magnet within the filter does a great job in collecting junk.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

The Magnefine has a relief so if it clogs it will bypass. I disagree with your conclusion. A filter that removes the contaminants like iron will be beneficial in the long run. There have been zero reports of a Magnefine clogging and causing a problem.

I have opened up 3 or so of mine that were used and there was a metallic paste on the magnet and a small number of visible particles in the media section.

I vote for Amsoil ATF and Magnefine inline filters. You have then done basically everything possible to ensure the transmission lasts a long time.

I think that this would be a great idea for an automatic with a filter that can't be changed without a teardown, like many Hondas.
For your application, it would be just an added level of protection.

Magnefines are $16 and need to be changed every year / 12,000 miles.

If you're going to be keeping the vehicle a long time and plan on doing annual filter changes, consider installing a filter base plate in a convenient place and add some magnets to your favorite spin on filter that you install.

It'll end up costing the same if not less and save you time when you do the change as well as prevent any wear and tear on rubber hoses. Plus you probably have better filtration for the non ferrous particles.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
i have a 1997 ford expedition wwith a 5.4 in it. i was wondering if running an inline filter would benefit me in any way. the truck is a daily driver and its what we tow the boats with ( just in town )

im not familiar with them in any way. i know some people use the type that look like little fuel filters and some use hydralic filters.

any pointers is appreciated

We have a special Forum for these types of questions:

Transmission Fluids etc

It's just my opinion i am not a transmission expert but have been in the engine rebuilding business a long time to hear the pros and cons of most automotive applications my brother shares the same thinking as myself and he was a rebuilder of transmissions until a few years ago when he went to work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back