in law had no oil on dipstick...99 camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
it has been burning oil a long time..he knows better but just doesnt care..one time my mom told me my dads f100 6cyl was low 4qts at service station ...the engine always ran good despite abuse...my dad never liked my B in law but they had one thing in common thinking oil was overrated or they were just indifferent...start engine put in D and go

chet2,

I have a buddy just like your in law! He drove his limping car into work and couldn't understand why it was like that. Really stupid on my buddies part.

Well after giving him some oil some of us carries in our trunks HE told us he can't remember when the oil was changed the last time!!!! Really dumb.

Can you imagine what his wife thinks?

Durango

One of my friends at work, is always broke. I bought him a 5qt. handle of Valvoline (white bottle) and a Fram filter....not great, but he was pushing 12k on conventional oil and a pennzoil filter. He first response was to question my selection of oil, stating that he prefered to use synthetic and asked if the oil was on sale or something.....did I learn my lesson.

There are millions of people who take great care of their lawn, have nice clean houses, 2.5 kids who play sports at the local field, who could give 2 [censored] about changing the oil and maintaining my car. My sister and her husband put gas in and go, maybe get to the jiffy lube before 7,000 miles. SO annoying when they call me and ask me whats wrong. I tell them Im not gonna help them if they keep neglecting.

That toyota four banger is a beast. My sister ran the engine without oil a few times until it died, and it always ran after oil was added, in a 94 camry 2.2L.

Originally Posted By: typ901
One of my friends at work, is always broke. I bought him a 5qt. handle of Valvoline (white bottle) and a Fram filter....not great, but he was pushing 12k on conventional oil and a pennzoil filter. He first response was to question my selection of oil, stating that he prefered to use synthetic and asked if the oil was on sale or something.....did I learn my lesson.

typ901,

You can't get past a brick wall sometimes! No matter what type of oil is used wether it be dino or synthctic no oil is any good if the oil filter can go the distance. Ask him to do his OCI's twice per year and that should be good.

Durango

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
There are millions of people who take great care of their lawn, have nice clean houses, 2.5 kids who play sports at the local field, who could give 2 [censored] about changing the oil and maintaining my car.

2.5 kids, that is impressive

Seriously, don't touch that car! Its not your responsibility, and they are never going to care for their car if everyone else does it for them.
The first time it leaves them stranded in a fast food drive through, or coming out of the movies, they'll learn....

Besides, it has 263k miles! Many would consider that a raging success, so neglect or not, his methods work.

This is not a new situation.

As I've said before, I did a year in a WM TLE in 2007. About every 7-8th car that came in had no oil, or very little oil showing on the d/s. We'd try to tell the person they need to check their oil more often, and they'd just look past you, not even listening, and ask "Is my car done yet?"

More people DON'T care about their cars than do. We are a very, very SMALL minority of the population here on BITOG!

People think running low on oil is like running low on fuel. 1/2 tank is fine, no different than full. No basic knowledge of what the oil is doing. I tell people, tires loose air and engines burn oil. Keep them full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back