In GENERAL would you say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
3000 was a GENERALLY accepted "rule of thumb" for decades. I am asking if, under the same parameters, that 5000, 7500, and 10000 are todays "rule of thumb" for dino, syn-blend, and full syn, respectively.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Too many variables to have something called "general". Define "general".
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
...that dino = 5000 OCI,
syn blend = 7500 OCI
and full syn = 10000 OCI

Just general OCI's for each? Agree?

I get what you are trying to say and I would say yes that is about right for the generally accepted lengths for the types of oil you list. Everywhere but with the folks here on BITOG who move in a different reaslity than most folks.
LOL.gif

...that dino = 5000 OCI,
syn blend = 7500 OCI
and full syn = 10000 OCI

In general Exxon/Mobil would likely agree.
ie.
Mobil Clean 5000
Mobil Clean 7500, syn blend, very hard to find these days.
Mobil One, good for at least 10K

Sooo, very generally, to use a sports analogy, it's in the ball park.
grin2.gif

I have been looking for Mobil 7500, but have not seen it anywhere...Does anyone know who is a retailer for it?

I have gone over 10K miles between oil changes using full synthetic/Purolator oil filter.....

C'mon, don't be obtuse. I think we get what the OP means by general.

It's funny that this topic should come up, because I've been thinking along similar lines today with regards to my wife's Civic. A few years ago I switched it from synthetic to conventional oil, partly because I figured it would be cheaper to run conventional. I've been doing 6 month intervals, which usually works out to about 5000 miles. Because I'm using 5w20, the sales aren't as good, so it ends up costing me about $15 for a 4.4L jug of GTX, plus about $5 for the oil filter. So that's about $40 per year. But the sales up here on Pennzoil Platinum this year have been pretty consistent, our Walmart here has had a steady stream of the 4.4L jugs of 5w30 and 10w30 (not 5w20 though) for just $21.88. So I've been thinking that if I switched her car back to synthetic (and back to a 5w30 as well, which is actually what her 2000 Civic's manual originally specified, and I have used a 30 wt oil in that car for most of it's life anyhow) and switched the interval to once a year or about 10,000 miles, then it would only cost me about $27 per year. So it ends up being $13 less per year to run synthetic over conventional! Even if I just went with a conventional 5w30 that had better sales prices, I still wouldn't find it for much less than $10 a jug up here, so I'd still be looking at $30 a year for two conventional oil changes compared to $27 a year for one synthetic oil change.

So I'm definitely wrestling with this idea right now, as I do believe that as a "general rule of thumb" that conventional oils are good for 5000 miles no problem and any of the commonly available synthetics (even if group 3) are good for 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
...that dino = 5000 OCI,
syn blend = 7500 OCI
and full syn = 10000 OCI

I get what you are trying to say and I would say yes that is about right for the generally accepted lengths for the types of oil you list. Everywhere but with the folks here on BITOG who move in a different reaslity than most folks.
LOL.gif

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt

Thank you, too!

I noticed Valvolines new warrenty is for 150K, 225K, and 300K, for dino, blend, and syn. This same (1, 1.5, 2) ratio MIGHT verify the GENERAL idea of 5000, 7500, 10000... thats what I am thinking, in general terms...

C'mon, don't be obtuse.
Hmmm, obtuse, nice word, I like it.
cool.gif

As far as the idea of using synthetic and saving money with longer OCI's, likely true. However, one of my enjoyments is changing my oil and filter and even this 5K or 6 month deal is kinda tough.
LOL.gif

That said, I have purchased my first two jugs of synthetic ever, QHP, so I will be doing some stretching. And, as I get older the longer DIY OCI's could become more appealing.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Type of driving can vary those numbers by +/- 50%

That is the best answer, IMO.

UOA is required to safely make a determination beyond that.

My 76 year old dad drives about 3000 miles per year and my mom drives about 5500 miles per year. I just change their oil once a year and the oil filter every other year, both drive a Honda.

Makes me think of the movie Shawshank Redemption. The Warden was not to happy to hear that word applied to him......

"Generally" people can tweek the numbers to justify anything they want to. I say select how often you WANT to change oil and then pick an oil that allows you to go the miles anticipated in that time.

If you drive 10k a year and want to change twice, dino is the way to go. If you want to go a full year on an oil change, use synth.

Timed intervals will both account for the person who drives a lot of highway miles as well as the short tripper.

I quit the oil change "miles countdown" a long time ago. Now I change twice a year, Winter and Summer. The mileage in that time is basicly just an afterthought and serves a guideline for the quality of oil I'll need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back