Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
...that dino = 5000 OCI,
syn blend = 7500 OCI
and full syn = 10000 OCI

Just general OCI's for each? Agree?
In general Exxon/Mobil would likely agree.
ie.
Mobil Clean 5000
Mobil Clean 7500, syn blend, very hard to find these days.
Mobil One, good for at least 10K

Sooo, very generally, to use a sports analogy, it's in the ball park.
grin2.gif

Then add M1 EP and up that to 15,000 miles.

In GENERAL I would say that just blindly bumping an oil change of any formulation 500 miles on an OCI can save money and time but only after years. I drive 18k a year. Going from 3000k to 9000k, dino to synthetic, seems to be where I would cut costs in half. This is using wal-mart pennzoil math, $13 for YB and $22 for the platinum, $5 filters. Also changing the filter every OCI, so more filters are purchased on dino. You don't HAVE to do that.

Originally Posted By: EPHIOS
To be safe, change your oil every 3k, no matter if it's conventional or synthetic.

no way. I go 5-7-10 thousand on mobil one synthetic.
almost 300,000 on the motor,

To be safe, change your oil every 3k, no matter if it's conventional or synthetic.

Why not be "safer" and change every 2500 miles?

Or why not "safest" and change every 2000 miles?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
If you drive 10k a year and want to change twice, dino is the way to go. If you want to go a full year on an oil change, use synth.

There is that ratio I suspect exists. I would extrapolate that syn-blend would fall inbetween, 5K, 7.5K, 10K...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Type of driving can vary those numbers by +/- 50%

+1 and very true

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Type of driving can vary those numbers by +/- 50%

+1 and very true

+2 Driving conditions are everything in OCI's. Where you live, the climate the car is driven in, and most importantly is it used for towing and/or short trips? Synthetic Blends and Synthetic oil can extend OCI's, but I would be sure that I'm not a severe service candidate before I venture into doubling or tripling my OCI.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

Makes me think of the movie Shawshank Redemption. The Warden was not to happy to hear that word applied to him......

Hehe, Andy got a week in the hole for saying that to him!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux

Why not be "safer" and change every 2500 miles?

Or why not "safest" and change every 2000 miles?

Or, we could have the caveatipse theory (not) of changing it every 1000 miles, to be on the "safe side."
smirk2.gif
Would that make it Spaceballs "ludicrous safe"? lol

Synthetic every 3K? Seriously? Can you throw money away any faster?
21.gif

Someone mentioned doing a UOA to determine OCI. I've done only one, 4k, with dino, a good but not great filter, and a mix of severe and non severe service. Recommended 5k easy. But, cost wise it's not practical do one often.

To the OP's point, sure there are lots of variables that BITOGers are aware of, but generally speaking, it's a respectable rule of thumb, IMO. Certainly a good starting point.

Well, in reality, 3,000 mile changes with synthetic is "safe". Maybe just a little wasteful lol.

I do 1,000 mile changes in the GN no matter what type of oil I'm running. It's not just synthetic vs semi vs dino. I have a fair amount of fuel dilution, a large shot of methanol, and no PCV system. It's also run at 28+psi boost and there's a bit of blowby at that level.

I'm not defending the 3K synthetic oil change comment but there are some variables that are not oil type dependant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
blowby at that level.

I'm not defending the 3K synthetic oil change comment but there are some variables that are not oil type dependant.

EXACTLY!
thumbsup2.gif
And not only in HP applications like yours.

I think Patman has it right.

Outside of some instance where there's a TRUE severity involved or where mileage is a poor measure of usage

6months

The higher the mileage, the more I'd lean toward a synth

3months where there is a TRUE severe service or where your odometer is a poor measure of usage.

1year usually would demand a higher end synthetic ..but that too can depend.

That's generally speaking.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
"I quit the oil change "miles countdown" a long time ago. Now I change twice a year, Winter and Summer. The mileage in that time is basicly just an afterthought and serves a guideline for the quality of oil I'll need.

I would go with fall and springtime. Winter's too cold!
LOL.gif

The peak high and low temps occur a month after the solstice, so that's when I change it, having fresh oil in for the cold of winter.

There were a few times I forgot my mileage and did change it at 2000 miles. I only figured it out after I found my little notepad for the gas record and such under the seat. I didn't have any of the window stickers at that time.

Oil is cheaper than engine. This is the best way to prolong the life of your engine. 3K OCI is the best insurance. If you can't afford M1, get PP and SuperTech oil filter from Wally World, no more than $25 for total OC.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

no way. I go 5-7-10 thousand on mobil one synthetic.
almost 300,000 on the motor,

I'm with you. My OCI runs about 9-11,000 mile OCIs with M1 and Ford engines have never worn out an engine. 31 years worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back