In-Cylinder Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long time ago I posted a link to a video of a gasoline engine cylinder during operation. Today I was poking around and found one of a diesel engine, I thought it was interesting. See both below:

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Wow, I'm glad I'm not on the inside of a cylinder.

crazy2.gif

Problem (???) with diesels is that the fuel has to evaporate and mix with the hot air and get into the combustible range before it can ignite. It's approaching this point always from the point of a stream of liquid diesel into an environment of really hot air.

So the point of initial combustion (and subsequently all fuel injected thereafter) is always at the rich end of the combustible range...yellow.

Multi stage injection can get some of the fuel evaporated and on the lean side of combustion before the ignition event, and before it's hot enough to ignite.

Nice vids.

I like the gasser, where you can clearly see why valves can stay cleaner on port injection.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Nice vids.

I like the gasser, where you can clearly see why valves can stay cleaner on port injection.

+1 on the vids! I noticed that about the valves on the port injected engine as well.

It also showed, at least to me why a diesel makes so much more power.

It doesn't. I read somewhere that this type of video is generally obtained with a cylinder outfitted with a sapphire window. Or more than one window perhaps, as it has to be lighted as well.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I would like to know what type of camera is able to withstand the compression and temps of a combustion chamber especially in a diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back