In Auto Parts Store Today 20w50 in 03 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
i saw someone buying castrol 20w50 and a fram filter and i asked him what he was using it for and he said a 2003 Honda Civic with high mileage (88,500 miles) i said that is way to thick for that car and he said the thicker the better especially in the winter. he then told me Honda says to use the 20 because when the engine wears out you buy another one.
I handed him my card ...

People are ignorant beyond our wildest dreams. I'll tell all my customers cars that run on 5w20 they need to hurry up and wear out. Some have over 200,000miles .

I've seen lots of people grabbing 20w50 but I don't know their application. Never asked, maybe it's for an air cooled VW or a motorcycle or something. I always hope they aren't putting it in something like a Civic lol.

88k = "High Miles"?

09.gif

It was an IRL troll. Probably actually putting it in his Harley but felt like messing with you.

The engine won't wear out or break as long as he lets it warm up in the winter. But his gas mileage will suffer. A good friend went 260k miles on his 83 Accord running nothing but Castrol 20W-50. The engine was fine(no smoke or oil usage) when he got rid of the car. In the 80s, 5W-30 oils weren't that great - it's a different story now.

I was trying to buy some 0W-20 PP at a major auto store and they didn't have it. I asked and they said they don't carry it. I remarked that was strange as it's the OEM spec on many cars the last several years. The clerk then proceeded to tell me that all Pennzoil was [censored] oil because they got sold to the lowest bidder a few years ago. I explained she was wrong and the difference between the different base stocks of oil.

I am going to guess that comparing an 83 accord to an 03 civic engine isn't a fair comparison. For one, I'm sure the tolerances are significantly tighter on the civic...

Originally Posted By: bigt61
The engine won't wear out or break as long as he lets it warm up in the winter. But his gas mileage will suffer. A good friend went 260k miles on his 83 Accord running nothing but Castrol 20W-50. The engine was fine(no smoke or oil usage) when he got rid of the car. In the 80s, 5W-30 oils weren't that great - it's a different story now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back