In a dilemma, sell my car or keep it

I am 44 years old now. All my life I have been thrift as I am not from a well off family and I struggled financially. However I do love cars, and I always wanted a 2 door 1980s rwd car. From the time I started working, which was at 21 years old, I drove my dads car and kept driving it for 20 years , from 1997 till 2017.
My dads car was a cheap 4 door econobox or ****box as some people would say, nothing special.
Back in 2012 I switched jobs and finally had better pay, so in 2015 I started searching for my retro JDM car. The plan is to get a good condition one so there will be minimal work involved, especially concerning body rust. Indeed I found a recently imported 1989 Toyota Soarer. I thought out of a plan to keep it in great shape till I retire , then sell it at that time, which should be when I am 55 to 60 years old. I dont think I will have the energy to maintain it when I retire, and I certainly dont want my kids to deal with disposing it if I should pass on not long after I retire.
I can keep it in good shape as its not a daily and I can keep it out of the rain and sunlight for most of the year, yes its a weekend car.
I have owned the car for 3 years now, and several days ago while it was parked in a mall, some one took photos of it on facebook, and it generated a lot of interest. My friend alerted me to this post and I had a look.
As usual some people asked is it for sale.
I opened my big mouth and one guy made me a very good offer on it. I feel that I am unlikely to get such an offer in the future, if I go ahead with my ownership as per my initial plan, When it comes time to selling it at the time, it is unlikely for me to get such a price, as I think only this guy is willing to pay this much for it now, because in my country, to import a classic car it must be 35 years old, and I got it before the rules were changed from 25 years old to 35 years old.
So the conundrum is, I sell the car soon, gain a handsome profit which I could add to my retirement fund, or keep it and enjoy the experience while I still am living. While I do enjoy the car a lot, I also treasure my financial independence. I plan to run small CNC business on the side soon, and together with my retirement fund it should help to keep me and my wife afloat in our golden years.
If you are a car guy in my situation, what would you do?

Sometimes you cant put a price on happiness. If you love the car and cant replace it or get something you would love more then I say keep it. If you are starting to worry about keeping it running or its not as much fun as it once was then sell it while you can get a good price. Its a personal choice but the fact you asked says you may be ready to let it go.

I'd keep it and do some spirited driving while you're still fairly young and vibrant. If you sell it you will likely continue to wonder 'what if?'... Reads like you've been very thrifty over the years and there is always more to life than just having more $.

You've enjoyed it for 3 years, and does it still make you smile the same as always? But the unknown is how much work and money would you plan to or need to put into it in the future to make it worth keeping for many more years? If it needs some work still, and you think this guy will give you a very good price, then selling it might be the best move right now.

You've enjoyed it for 3 years, and does it still make you smile the same as always? But the unknown is how much work and money would you plan to or need to put into it in the future to make it worth keeping for many more years? If it needs some work still, and you think this guy will give you a very good price, then selling it might be the best move right now.
Yes I still get that special retro feeling driving it, It has a few minor issues. Last week I heard a grinding noise on right front wheel while braking, I checked the brakes and found one Wagner brake pad shim on the right front pad came off, so I JB weld the shim to the pad, problem solved. There is small water leak in the trunk which I have traced to the trunk rubber seal and tail light gasket, which I will fix soon. The engine, auto trans, power steering , the electrics all work great. I rebulit the steering rack early in 2019, and till now its leak free, added a hayden power steering cooler too.
Like what spyderman24_7 said, the what IF question might get to me.

I would try not to attach emotions to material possessions or at least not too much. They come and go ...

It's mostly a tool you are using. When and IF is time to let go then let it go.

I don't get attached to vehicles. I'm always happy to sell what I have and get something newer or better.

And, as I'm saying that, I drive a 2003 Jaguar X-Type with 6 speed manual. It's been a really fun car, it's still comfortable and very few affordable cars can do what it can. (it's AWD and great in the snow) (I live in FL but have a "crash pad" cottage in PA too)

My point is that I don't replace it because it's fun and it's good enough.

Tough decision. I sold my toy 7 years ago when I relocated, owned it 10 years. reasons, well, dealer support became almost non existent and repair costs were astronomical. I miss it once in a while but realize that in retirement, cost of ownership, difficulty getting in and out of and taking up a garage made it impractical. Sold it for less than I paid for it but got about 75% of the cost back after 10 years so IMO not bad.

You never know what tomorrow brings, decision really depends on your situation, Good luck

If it is anything like the Toyota Supra is over here as far as desirability, it will hold its' value quite well. You might be able to enjoy it for the next 15 years, and still get a good price for it then.

Back