Improving Hybrid Technology,

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the October 1st Automotive News: (Dont kill the messenger!)
Hybrid Versions of the full size 2008 Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon are rated by the US Govt (2wd versions) at 21 city/22 hwy matching the 4 cyl Camry city rating and beating the V6 Camry city rating by 2 MPG. (note, these are not the hybrid versions of these vehicles!) These vehicles are the first to use the Two Mode Hybrid transmission GM developed with DaimlerChrysler and BMW. The two mode is a full hybrid that can drive entirely on electricity up to 32 MPH and use all gas or a mixture of the two at higher speeds.
I'd say if GM can get this kind of mileage out of a full size SUV, even a 2WD version, then we can safely think that advances in the technology are just beginning. Cant wait to see what Toyota, (and everyone else) comes up with next! I know this isnt an apples to apples comparison, however I think it is safe to say that things are looking upward for the world of hybrids.

Who will buy those trucks? Most people buy the 4wd version out of the misguided thought that it will be useful in inclement weather. And those get abysmal mileage.

It's a nice attempt. What would be better is to see a 4wd hybrid Escalade. That would really hammer home the point of needing better economy in SUV's.

The assumption a 4wd gets abysmal fuel economy compared to a 2wd is just that, an assumption. The point of the thread is that hybrid technology is already improving to the point that full size SUV's are getting 25% better fuel economy with hybrids. And anyhow, lots of 2wd SUV's and trucks (the next place for the technology according to GM) get sold with 2wd.

whats so misguided about 4wd helping in bad weather. I can tell you from personnel experience it makes it much easier to drive my truck in the winter. I don't have to worry about breaking my rear end free while trying to get moving at stoplights. Also have had times where my rear tires where on a patch of ice and I was going nowhere with out it. Lastly those drives that are steep and now been plowed well I can get up them and down them with out worrying about not making it.

Any ways 4wd is less prevalent in the areas that don't get snow from what I understand, so there is a whole market. I would have said the realator market a few years ago but they aren't making money any more.

So pretty much it brings it to a person that does alot of stop and go driving, needs a good amount of space,and don't get large amounts of snow.

I work at the plant building these Hybrids. They do come in 4WD as well. Also - the Hybrid Escalade is coming soon. They drive nice but I, too, wonder just who will buy them when it all shakes out.

I certainly commend GM for the effort and for having the guts to put these vehicles on the market. That said, I'm sure they have their reasons for how they sequence new products to the market, but I'd have thought it would make more sense to offer cars such as the coming-soon Malibu hybrid before these huge beasts.

Quote:

I certainly commend GM for the effort and for having the guts to put these vehicles on the market. That said, I'm sure they have their reasons for how they sequence new products to the market, but I'd have thought it would make more sense to offer cars such as the coming-soon Malibu hybrid before these huge beasts.

Yes sir, that makes full sense. Actually the launch of both of these hybrids were to be about the same time. I am not sure about the car Hybrids, but for our GMT900 trucks we are on schedule to start full build next month. We have been building Hybrids now that are saleable units - but they are going to corporate headquarters for review/tests/ and as company cars first. Then I guess they will end being offered to dealers to sell as program vehicles and to GM employees as "pep" vehicles. (PEP stands for product evaluation program where executives drive vehicles then they are offered for sale at a nice discount to other Employees)

I am very proud of this truck, we worked real hard on it. But, the pricing is still not released so I have no idea what they will cost. Pricing will be a real deal maker/breaker. I, personally, would not buy a Hybrid if it is too much more than the regular truck - but I am not sure if the public shares that opinion. I do know that we are not forcasted to build a whole lot of these Hybrids yet, atleast until market demand can be proven.

Probably becuase they have more experience with big vehicles. Aka the hybrid buses they make.

Ekpolk, I think they offered them to challenge a perception which is sort of what Toyota did too. If you forget about the cost/value relationship and go with the "feel good" story, then the hybrid SUV is a winner. As evidenced by the past few years, people want to drive SUV's of all brands, but gas prices did them in and perceptions that they were gas hogs. Improve fuel efficiency 25+%? Now it is OK to drive them and their friends arent talking about you anymore. It's a perception issue in my mind. Of course, my mind is pretty messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back