impressive dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's this one, my kid didn't want a 5000 km oil change last time he was up, so when he came back it had an additional 7000 plus km. on it. No make up oil was required and the condition of the oil was deep gold. I was blown away by how well the 5W30 GTX held up. As well as the red label carquest filter. I would never have done that with my rides and I use synthetic! The car is a 95 chev lumina 3.1 litre with 120,000 km.

A bit much, but I've seen worse. At least it's a namebrand premium dino, not some quicky-mart stuff you never heard of.

Not the first time I've heard of this 12k mile (yes, realize, you noted km....lol) OCI with Castrol GTX 10W-30.....at the time, was a guy trying to "sell me on" GTX dino down the oil aisle about 9 months ago......he was telling me how he runs 12k mile OCIs, only changes the oil/filter out every 12k.....obviously, there's top offs in between! Lol.....but he didn't tell me how much, etc.....

I don't know, I guess maybe they know something we don't
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Not the first time I've heard of this 12k mile (yes, realize, you noted km....lol) OCI with Castrol GTX 10W-30.....at the time, was a guy trying to "sell me on" GTX dino down the oil aisle about 9 months ago......he was telling me how he runs 12k mile OCIs, only changes the oil/filter out every 12k.....obviously, there's top offs in between! Lol.....but he didn't tell me how much, etc.....

I don't know, I guess maybe they know something we don't
wink.gif

Luck?

12,000KM isn't that much. I would have no problem taking an SN out 6k Miles. if you change every 5000KM your just throwing money away these days

It was sm. I would probably run a good synthetic in it after this it's his car and his money. I've got to admit he seems to be making the right choice up until now. Also I do agree that 12000km. isn't that much compared to some I've read about on bitog but of all the years I've done oil changes, anything past 9,000 km. is not going to happen in my vehicles syn or dino.

I guess I don't see why 6,000 or 7,000 miles is a big deal on current conventional oils with engines that are easy on oil, especially if it's mostly highway mileage. I change my oil twice a year-spring and fall. I just changed the Elantra yesterday with 6,955 miles on a fill of Castrol GTX 5W-20 and my wife's Subaru Outback with 7,126 on the oil (Castrol GTX 5W-30). I've been doing this for the last decade without a single oil related issue, and both cars currently have over 100,000 miles on them.

I usually buy a name brand that's on sale when I change it, and this time I purchased Pennzoil a couple weeks ago when it was on sale.

Originally Posted By: gulian
anything past 9,000 km. is not going to happen in my vehicles syn or dino

That's only about 5,600 miles. What a waste of money, especially if you're blowing your money on an overpriced synthetic.

Here in NYC my 09 Civic is at around 7k when we hit 15% on the olm. I did it once just to see. I know Honda sets that on dino. So Honda thinks it is ok to extend dino why should we fret????Now (on syn) I bail out at 30% olm. I heard a good rule in congested areas go 50% of suggested olm. Now trans that is another area that needs more attention esp. with Honda. 30k at first then 20 k after is my rule. IMHO Even with syn I like the 50% of suggested olm rule with oil. Not a big deal!! as always it is how the miles were put on. Try Grand Central at 4:30 Friday nite.

Originally Posted By: gulian
No make up oil was required and the condition of the oil was deep gold. I was blown away by how well the 5W30 GTX held up. The car is a 95 chev lumina 3.1 litre with 120,000 km.

Color means nothing. I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts the add pack was shot getting low. Would have liked to have seen UOA results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
So is this Castrol GTX and great engine cleaning oil or an oil for endurance?

Thanks.

For oil endurance? I think the GTX is better known to take the heat than for particularly long OCI. But a lot of oils take heat well. I use it in my air-cooled engines including an old VW van because they tend to run hot, and it it proven to work very well in these in my experience. I have never had varnish under the valve covers with GTX, and a buddy had hundreds of thousands of miles on his '73 VW bus with it.

I don't think 7500 miles is terribly excessive for this oil.

Seems to be quite a bit of SM left around here. Costco's stock was still SM and I bit at the WalMart deal which is all SM. I liked it when I ran it before and I'm pretty sure I will again. The G5 is projecting out to 16000km right now but it is getting cooler and it will start dropping faster. Maybe I'll put some of the $ I'm going to save into some UOAs.

I tell you what, it won't get changed at a regular interval next time but at least what this one was and I'll do a UOA. Maybe going this long is the way to go. I would just hate to be wrong is probably why I never took the chance on my cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back