Impressed with Ford Fusion gas mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend my wife and I went to Petoskey, MI. All-in-all it was about 600 miles round-trip, maybe a hair less. About 70% interstate driving at around 75 mph, with some slower/stop & go zones for construction; 20% rural, hilly roads; 10% city roads. We averaged exactly 34 MPG round trip. Woohoo! On the way there, we were up to 37.4 MPG, with the A/C on most of the time. Granted, the fuel economy figures were from the car's on-board computer, and these are known to be off sometimes. Still, I was very happy. The car rolled over 10,000 miles just before we got home, and is just over 6,000 miles on this OCI, which will be changed out later. The current oil & filter is only the first OCI since the factory fill, so I'm thinking there are still a small amount of metal shavings in the oil from engine break-in. I'm only expecting the MPG to increase on this next OCI.

I drove 1000 miles last week and achieved similar results. A comfortable,fuel efficient, and fun to drive vehicle. Ford is doing a good job with this one.

I agree. From what I hear, this current-model Fusion won't be around too much longer, since Ford is releasing the new Fusion/Mondeo in 2013 (but that could just be hearsay, or a prediction). We have the 2.5L four, and it has plenty of power. We pulled onto the shoulder a few times to take pictures, and I was inpressed with how fast the car accelerated away at partial throttle.

37.4 under those conditions is fantastic for a family sedan!!! My yaris doesnt fare much better than those numbers and you obviously dont get near as much car as yours. Kudos to you and Ford.

I don't even know if my Focus, with a smaller version of the same engine in our Fusion, would touch those numbers. I think the 6-speed AT makes all the difference in the Fusion. More gears & lower ratios in low gears gets you into higher gears faster = saving gas... and quicker acceleration!
thumbsup2.gif
Oh and FWIW, this car has 10,000 miles on it and I have never once checked/added to the tire pressure, so they could even maybe use a little air and achieve better mileage numbers. But I like the smooth, quiet ride. So I don't want to mess with it.

My previous vehicle was not a Fusion, but had a 2.5L/6AT combination and the fuel economy and performance was impressive. Performance could have been mistaken for a V-6 engine, and the 6-speed always kept the engine in the right powerband. Modern 4-cylinder powertrains are so slick compared with what they were just 10 years ago. A 4-cylinder sedan used to be a penalty box, performance-wise.

I'm impressed, too. Beyond outstanding.

But let me get this straight...
A car that weighs in at over 3,200 lbs with two added people's weight in it, AC on, and traveling at 75 MPH getting over 37 MPG?

My car weighs almost 1,000 lbs less, has better aerodynamics, and gets that under those conditions.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I'm impressed, too. Beyond outstanding.

But let me get this straight...
A car that weighs in at over 3,200 lbs with two added people's weight in it, AC on, and traveling at 75 MPH getting over 37 MPG?

My car weighs almost 1,000 lbs less, has better aerodynamics, and gets that under those conditions.

Don't forget the luggage, too! But I've never done a long highway trip with my Focus to really know what MPGs it's capable of.

Sometimes the weight and engine size defies all logic as to what mileage a car will get.I have a 3.4 Impala that consistently gets 34 mpg on a trip. That's about the same as a compact car, but with the safety and comfort as a fullsize. Also the V-6 power is there if you need it.

Originally Posted By: kelpie
Sometimes the weight and engine size defies all logic as to what mileage a car will get.I have a 3.4 Impala that consistently gets 34 mpg on a trip. That's about the same as a compact car, but with the safety and comfort as a fullsize. Also the V-6 power is there if you need it.

Doesn't the 7.0 liter, 505 hp Z06 'Vette get something like 21 mpg highway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back